PDA

View Full Version : 9,741 members!

Windcatcher
11-30-2002, 05:09 PM
I looked at the top and...cripes! That's a LOT of forum members. So I thought I'd ask a question: what do you think is going on here? Are this many people actually trying EQEmu out? (playing on others' servers or setting up their own?) It seems to me that they must at least be posting to the forum, otherwise there's no need to set up a forum membership. Or is everyone just lurking? :D

So what do you think? What's up with all the interest? I especially would like to see replies from people other than the normal gang that hangs around (not that you shouldn't join in, too).

As for myself, working on the admin tool gives me something to do (when I'm not hellaciously busy with other things), and I'd like to see what can be accomplished. I haven't played EQ Live in so long I forget the names of the zones, and no one I know is playing the emu. For me, playing isn't the issue, it's the building. I'd especially like to see a 3rd party client emerge so people can create their own zone geometry (sly look at rickmanx) :D

WC

11-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Absolutly not Windcatcher, people just register and then quit. I bet there are 300 MAX people who are active in the forums. If you look, more then 2/3 of the subscribed member have NO POSTS! I suggest we cleanup the mess people have made by registering and not following through! Shawn319, I would recommend having a policy to delete any inactive acounts that stay inactive for 1 week after registering so we can keep the registed users as the people who actually post stuff.

Thanks Windcatcher for bringing this up! Keep that kick-ass Admin Tool Coming!!! Good Luck!

Zafar
11-30-2002, 09:30 PM
I know there is enough content on these boards to reply to something. I just think that 30 days, or maybe 60 would be better than just a week (7 days). But that's my opinion though.

Absolutly not Windcatcher, people just register and then quit. I bet there are 300 MAX people who are active in the forums. If you look, more then 2/3 of the subscribed member have NO POSTS! I suggest we cleanup the mess people have made by registering and not following through! Shawn319, I would recommend having a policy to delete any inactive acounts that stay inactive for 1 week after registering so we can keep the registed users as the people who actually post stuff.

Thanks Windcatcher for bringing this up! Keep that kick-ass Admin Tool Coming!!! Good Luck!

Trumpcard
12-01-2002, 02:22 AM
I agree, 7 days is dumb... I go out of town on business for a week, and I get locked out?

I would think inactive accounts should be wiped every 90-180 days, and an active account doesnt neccessarily mean you don't post, some people create accounts to play with, not post on the forums, and why should we force people who obviously have no problems to post in the forums.. Then we'll have 2000 messages a month... 'SUP' just so their accounts dont get deactivated.

I'm sure Hogie already has a way of purging dead accounts anyways. Let him decide when and where to purge..

Why are you so concerned with whether people post or not Wizzel?

Windcatcher
12-01-2002, 05:22 AM
I think what he's saying is purging only those accounts that have NEVER posted, not the ones that haven't posted in a while.

12-01-2002, 06:39 AM
Right you are Windcatcher! I am talking about accounts that have never been posted on. My parents are divorced and I have to switch off to each house so I couldn't even do that 7 day rule thing but I am only talking about inactive accounts with "0" posts. Any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated. As for deleting active accounts, I see no need. I bet we could eliminate all the "0" post accounts and then we would be down to 1,000 members.

Baron Sprite
12-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Average of 50 people create accounts a day. Most people run minilogin servers and if they have a problem, just find it already answered on the forums or ask in IRC.

a_Guest03
12-01-2002, 11:09 AM
I don't usually have anything constructive to say that hasn't already been said. I don't even play the emu right now because my computer is a piece. I find the project to be a worthy cause, and I think a lot of people want to get away from Verant, and into their own worlds. I bet a lot of other people are quietly rooting for the success of the project.

Shawn319
12-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Don't forget, 95% of those accounts are just for logging into the EQEmu.net Loginserver. It doesn't matter if the person hasn't had a post yet (or if thay ever will).

forum accounts serve as your station name as well as nick to post.

Windcatcher
12-01-2002, 04:38 PM
Ah, yes, that's right. Actually that's pretty gratifying, then, since it implies that people are trying it out.

So...

How about it? Any lurkers want to chime in? Have you tried EQEmu out? What do/did you think?

Baron Sprite
12-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Most people don't know where the forum is :p

unix_phreak
12-03-2002, 06:00 AM
<--------------------Lurker

<sorta>

I love the Emu. i just wish that I could help in some way. as a rookie c++ programmer, I doubt that there's anything I can do.

I play mostly on my home server. I just wish that I would have taken the time to read how to play totally on my LAN. i have friends that play eq and would like to just goof off on a private Lan.

Lurker_005
12-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Huh? what?

someone say my name.... ;)

I would say if there was to be a user perge, make it no forum OR loginserver logins in the last 120 days. Posting isn't required, just loging into to read the forums would do.

beefcake
01-12-2003, 09:31 AM
I'm here and I'm new. First post. I us EMu all the time. I love it. Keep upi the great work Dev team.

Hardy
01-12-2003, 09:58 AM
WC you need to learn how to count, its actually 13,088 registered members :P Not bad, almost 4,000 new members in 2 months. But seeing as some create more than 1 account, maybe 3,000 new members :lol:

Baron Sprite
01-12-2003, 11:45 AM
Posted: 12-01-2002 05:09 AM Post subject: 9,741 members!

Hardy
01-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Not bad, almost 4,000 new members in 2 months

I know, hehe, read the rest of me post to :P If you pointing out that I miss counted that it wasn't 2 months, i just did that so I didn't have to type alot :lol: