PDA

View Full Version : Cant login after creating an account.

darvik
01-21-2002, 07:16 AM
OK, I got my server all setup and going and it seems I MUST use the login server at gotfrags.com , because eqgame patchme doesn't seem to work since luclin.

I create my account with gotfrags, but when I go to login it tell me bad username/password. What gives? Tried several different names and passwords, nothing.

BTW - Personally I think it's totally gay to not release the login server with the project. Sure it's nice to have a global one, but I think most people would rather not share publicly that they are using an EMU - giving our our ip address and access to hit our computers on multiple ports to god knows who. And the other thing is how the fuck do you create an admin account for your own machine without having your own login server?

Anyone have any clues about the login issue?

Thanks,
-- Darvik

Shawn319
01-21-2002, 07:21 AM
I dont think you can connect locally with luclin anymore.

Try putting lowercase letters for the login/password. (You also need EQW 2.2)

darvik
01-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Why do you *need* eqw ? I dont want to run it in a window.

Also - I've done lowercase letters, tried different names, different passwords and password lengths.

One thing - I'm using two different computers for running the server and the other to play .. but that's not really the issue.. the issue is that gotfrags says it made me an account, yet it seems that it didnt'

Zeitgeist
01-21-2002, 07:25 AM
please remember that the gotfrags login and the actual player account login are DIFFERENT from each other. you create a local admin account like you always have. the gotfrags login has nothing to do with access or access levels to and on your server. if you don't want to use the ls, RTFM.

Zeitgeist
01-21-2002, 07:30 AM
ahh so with Luclin, the old login method doesn't work after deleting the required files etc as mentioned in the new Readme?

devn00b
01-21-2002, 07:33 AM
I read the farking manual...and it seems that with 2.0 it forces you to use it. I tryed deleting eqmain.dll and gave me a nasty message.

I for one dont want my server (that i created for a small group of friends) open to everyone and there sister. if i lock my server then no one can get on.

I think this was a poor move by the EQemu team. either let us run our own login servers OR make the luclin patch portion a diff release. and just put the rest of the stuff in

darvik
01-21-2002, 07:34 AM
Right , before 0.2.0 using "eqgame patchme" used to bring up a dialog asking what server IP address to use, and login/password .. so you could just use your local server . That dialog no longer pops up.

But the issue still stands.. I've read the manual backwards and forwards and I'm about 99% positive I'm doing everything right. Obviously if I'm setting my login server to gotfrags, then they control my access to my own server - which is gay.

Artadius
01-21-2002, 07:41 AM
In the current windows install guide it says:

Delete eqmain.dll and loginserver.ini. This will start your server without adding it to the Gotfrags server select screen. To connect run eqw.exe and enter your Login/password (not gotfrags l/p, an l/p u have to create yourself) and localhost as the IP (leave account key blank).

(*Note: This method is not recommended and may not work)

Well, obviously it doesn't work.

I really hope the coders will announce publicly soon that they will include a local version of the login server for those who are running the server localhost or who do not want to use a public loginserver.

devn00b
01-21-2002, 07:46 AM
The one thing i loved about EQemu is that I HAD CONTROLL. i decided who was logged on, who had what, who was where, etc etc etc (controll freak..?.. me....NEVER)

I dont like the fact that i can no longer controll that. lets hope they do release some sort of login server that WE can use for ourselves/friends.

n00b8472
01-21-2002, 08:15 AM
Well.. using the Loginserver method I can log onto my own server, but only as a mere player.. cannot access it at all as the GM account. Anyone got any ideas?

Shawn319
01-21-2002, 08:41 AM
Yes you have to flag yourself. run world.exe flag username status

in a dos window.

n00b8472
01-21-2002, 08:43 AM
But I want to use the GM account I already HAVE on the server, not create a new one

Shawn319
01-21-2002, 09:17 AM
well if its your server and u log in for the first time after creating new DB u have to flag yourself in the DB after the account is created (when u hit PLAY gotfrags makes the account with same name as your gotfrags login in your DB but w/o a password) set the flag to 200 for yourself (ServerOP)

madborg
01-21-2002, 09:31 AM
ahh so with Luclin, the old login method doesn't work after deleting the required files etc as mentioned in the new Readme?

seems that the login method has me confused too. I don't have servers that are accessible to the outside world, but at the same time I run more than one box internally.

Right now I am still experimenting with how to do it locally, but I believe that it won't work unless I have a local login server because of the way the eqhost.txt file is set up.

I was able to get past the frags login screen to the server select and saw my system on the choices, but I wasn't able to connect-- maybe I need to put my private IP address in worldaddress= in the loginserver.ini.

Deleting eqmain.dll is not the right way to go, cause the client is going to look for that file. Deleting loginserver.ini doesn't seem right because the eqhost.txt file points to ports that are not accessible on my system.

still poking but runnng out of ideas fast...

Zeitgeist
01-21-2002, 09:35 AM
eek, i will play soon as i get home and try to help those who want to do things the way you and i have been, borg. heading home shortly.

Shawn319
01-21-2002, 09:37 AM
With new (or luclin) client it always looks for eqmain.dll now. no way around it.

So the only way to do everything locally now is to get a loginserver.

There may be a local version of the loginserver released in the next few years so keep your eyes open :)

Zeitgeist
01-21-2002, 09:41 AM
well amusingly those of us with setups like mine and borgs have had little luck with getting in through the gotfrags ls... ugh...

n00b8472
01-21-2002, 09:48 AM
Oh joy joy!

Why in the name of @#"

devn00b
01-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Screw login server for local use...i want one i can admin myself!
one that i dont have to deal with other players entering my little server for friends. and deal with peeps comming in and having to kick them every few mins. or dealing with my friends entering the wrong server.

madborg
01-21-2002, 10:54 AM
I admit I am temporarily stumped, but there is no reason to overspeculate and get agitated. THERE IS A SOLUTION to the login issue of 0.2.0

Point 1: don't delete egamain.dll or anything like that. It won't get you anywhere.

Point 2: you can use either eqw 2.2 or egame patchme, so you are not restricted.

***added***
I can now run a server just fine going to the login server; scares me a bit on how I am able to get a private server connected to the Internet, but in some ways it's sort of a freebie.

Point 3: the login server route as it is currently done, will get your through the login process and on SOME server. It just may not be yours because if you are like me you are behind a firewall, or you don't have public access to your machine.

Point 4: mucking around with eqhost.txt is not going to solve Point3.

Fact is the current setup works for some people and not for others. Shawn mentions the thing about the name/password and I am going to explore that some more. Otherwise, I may go and actually play EQ this afternoon and wait for a solution later this week.

Windcatcher
01-21-2002, 11:23 AM
I've been trying to connect locally as well, but I've had no luck so far.

And I do NOT have Luclin.

Deleting the DLL file causes the dialog to come up normally. I put in my info, and I can get to the character select screen. But the framerate when using EQW 2.2 is REALLY REALLY SLOOOOW, and EQW 2.1 crashes. If I run normally (no EQW), the framerate is fine.

When I select my character, it goes to the splash screen as if it is entering the world, but nothing happens. After a couple of minutes the client quits.

I've verified the following:

- I'm using the newest client (I patched just a little while ago)
- my db.ini is set correctly (I do write the admin tool, of course; I'm familiar with this step)
- I've renamed loginserver.ini to something else so I can connect locally, as I always do
- I've imported ONLY the accounts and characters tables from my 0.1.9 DB to my 0.2.0 DB, and I've updated the account status values to the new numbers in 0.2.0.
- none of my characters are carrying any equipment that isn't in the database (assuming that the DB contains the same items that it contained in 0.1.9)

So my conclusion is that there is a problem that goes beyond having SoL installed.

Windcatcher

madborg
01-21-2002, 11:43 AM
I got it. I will post a separate thread on how to get things set up including creating a GM accounts. Several people had the words but it wasn't laid out in a step-by-step pattern.

see my new thread to come very soon.

Zeitgeist
01-21-2002, 11:46 AM
ok ok interesting --- this is the only way ive been able to login so far---

sample line from boot5zones:

start zone . 192.168.1.101 9001 localhost

db.ini:
host=localhost

loginserver.ini:
worldaddress=192.168.1.101

192.168.x is my LAN IP for the World Server. Dunno if anyone can get to me from outside, though I tend to doubt it. Interesting point, the db was being ornery, had to open fqadmin and hit commit twice to get it opened for writes as i couldn't think of the mysql line to use for that... anyhow... more testing...

madborg
01-21-2002, 12:13 PM
ok ok interesting --- this is the only way ive been able to login so far---

Are you trying to bypass the login server or are you describing a method that you found to get access to your server through the login server?

I was sort of expecting problems from the db, but somehow I was able to avoid it -- maybe it was something that the login server did to the db.

**added**

here is the link for how to get set up using the login server; it seems like a lot of steps but I believe is is fairly bullet-proof.

http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?threadid=52

darvik
01-21-2002, 12:25 PM
The problem still remains that for those of us that dont want to post our private information to every Tom, Dick and Suzy out there, we need to have our own login server.

The login server that is on gotfrags.com is a *great* idea .. for those people that *want* public servers and to share their world with everyone else.. But it leaves the rest of us with our hands tied.

All I'm saying is that this is an area that should be getting some attention.

And, my original issue still stands - login server keeps telling me bad username/password. Has anyone tried creating a new gotfrags.com account and logging in with it? This is my issue - I think gotfrags.com is fucked up and not allowing new usernames to be created or something. Who is running that server anyway?

jase102
01-21-2002, 12:36 PM
I'm also having problems, not quite like darvik's but like many other people..the not logging into server after character select issue.
I like many others do not want to log on to anywhere in any shape way or form to play this emu.

Many thanks to the coders for this excellent emulator btw..hope you can fix these issues for us.
-J-

madborg
01-21-2002, 12:40 PM
and I guess the good news is that I found a security hole in my network. If it turns out I have a hole, then the posting about setting up 0.2.0 will only work for the systems that are accessible from the outside.

turned off any external access on my system and somehow I still get access to my server by going to the login server. Maybe a network person can explain to me how this is possible.

n00b8472
01-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Well I just registered a 2nd user account for my other machine, and well.. Login server won't acknowledge the existence of such an account at all..

Error: bad username/password

wtf?!

madborg
01-21-2002, 08:05 PM
Well I just registered a 2nd user account for my other machine, and well.. Login server won't acknowledge the existence of such an account at all..

Error: bad username/password

wtf?!

I get dizzy too trying to figure this out. But when you log into the login server you must use your login user and password. For example, we all have eqemu/eqemu in our database. But you can't login with that user. You would have to have a second account on frags.

n00b8472
01-21-2002, 08:19 PM
That's what I meant.. I registered a 2nd account on gotfrags and it wouldn't work.. Apparently the gotfrags server is a little slow on the updates, because when I tried it again 10 minutes later, it worked fine.. go figure :)

Pyrotek
01-22-2002, 01:00 AM
Simple solution... If you don't want to use the login server, revert back to v0.1.9. heh... We all know how you feel about the situation, maybe if you all email JSmelly he'll remove the dll check.

Bunga
01-22-2002, 02:13 AM
...or, you can release the login server.

Hack_attack
01-22-2002, 03:44 AM
The one thing i loved about EQemu is that I HAD CONTROLL. i decided who was logged on, who had what, who was where, etc etc etc (controll freak..?.. me....NEVER)

I dont like the fact that i can no longer controll that. lets hope they do release some sort of login server that WE can use for ourselves/friends.

acualy you can still chose who gets in your server. see if someone gets in and they do somthing that you dont like. (when doing this make sure you set your own account status to 200) then open mysql. and type this in
use eq
select * from account
and then look for there account name.
then after you find there account name type
update account set password=(whatever) where id=(the id of there account)
and then there should also be a selection that has this thing like lsaccountid or somthing like that
type this in next
update account set lsaccountid=NULL where id=(there id number)
then join your server and type
#kick (playername) .
it worked for me but i dont know how well it works yet. im still working with commands to keep people out of servers. :P

darvik
01-22-2002, 05:07 AM
Btw - I guess whoever said it was "slow" seemed to be right .. I tried again late last night and it seemed to be working ok, no longer have the bad login/password issue - got my server up and going no hassles :)
0.2.0 is a great release, awesome work guys :)

devn00b
01-22-2002, 05:15 AM
acualy you can still chose who gets in your server. see if someone gets in and they do somthing that you dont like. (when doing this make sure you set your own account status to 200) then open mysql. and type this in
use eq
select * from account
and then look for there account name.
then after you find there account name type
update account set password=(whatever) where id=(the id of there account)
and then there should also be a selection that has this thing like lsaccountid or somthing like that
type this in next
update account set lsaccountid=NULL where id=(there id number)
then join your server and type
#kick (playername) .
it worked for me but i dont know how well it works yet. im still working with commands to keep people out of servers. :P

That there is too much work or time taken up. i just want a damn private server for me and 10 buddies. i dont want to be in the middle of killing somthing having to deal with unwanted visitors.

Trumpcard
01-22-2002, 05:31 AM
Well then, feel free to write your own login server, not bitch about the way the dev team is having to do their's.

madborg
01-22-2002, 07:04 AM
That's what I meant.. I registered a 2nd account on gotfrags and it wouldn't work.. Apparently the gotfrags server is a little slow on the updates, because when I tried it again 10 minutes later, it worked fine.. go figure :)

whoops i didnt read that carefully before. Strange that you would have a 10 minute lag when the message says you have to activate within 15 minutes, so the tendancy for most people would be to rush to login in.