PDA

View Full Version : Ranger & ranged weapon woes

Damilis
01-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Dunno if this is a bug local to me or a well known bug, but every time rangers try to use a ranged weapon they get disconnected instantly. I am able to recreate this bug repeatedly so its not just a random thing. anyone else experiencing this?

Auldar
01-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Which database were you using and which ranged weapons and ammo?

I saw this problem, but I don't recall which DB I was using at the time.

The problem was not present in Telmet's 0.4.2-DR1 DB, however I think I saw the problem when using Drawde's DB, or possibly the 0.4.1 DB.

I'll post back when I have something a little more solid.

-Auldar

Auldar
01-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Actually, it occurs to me that perhaps the reason I didn't see it when I was using Telmet's DB was that I had purchased the AA Unlimited Ammo.

Perhaps the bug lies in decrementing your ammo supply?

-Auldar

Drawde
01-28-2003, 11:27 PM
I also encountered this bug when playing a Ranger, but not with other character classes - archery and throwing worked OK although it doesn't cause creatures to aggro (known bug). Maybe as you say it is related to Ranger skills/AAs though I didn't think those were implemented yet?

Trumpcard
01-29-2003, 01:57 AM
I'll take a look and see what I find about archery.. Havent really messed with it alot, but sounds like a crash bug. Im guessing when you get disconnected, your zone goes down.

Drawde, the level/skill issues for Dodge/Riposte/Parry/Double Attack should be cleared up now. Image started putting level checks in for duel and double, and I finished them, and added checks for the defensive skills, so those should all be good with the next release. I just used EQLive min level from eq.castersrealm.com.

Trumpcard
01-29-2003, 01:22 PM
I can't recreate this bug... I tried for awhile though..

Is it instanteous? Rangers have a bit of special code for a crit, I thought it could have something to do with that... I'll keep trying, but so far havent seen anything..

Does it cause the zone the go down when it happens?

I didnt put any points into AA.... lemme know...

Auldar
01-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Well, I saw this bug when I was in Blackburrow with a level 5 Wood-Elf Ranger using a Trueshot longbow and a crappy arrow I looted from a Gnoll's corpse.

Everytime I tried to shoot at a gnoll or giant snake, I'd get the Disconnected message.

I do believe the zone crashed.

I wouldn't have gotten any crit's as it happened each time.

Also, when I logged back in, I still had the arrow.

If I remember correctly, I think you do hear it hit the target, but I don't know if you see any damage. You get disconnected pretty much straight away...

-Auldar

Trumpcard
01-30-2003, 01:33 AM
Thats odd... I did the exact same thing in Blackburrow, went from level 5 -> level 10 -> level 20 with a trueshot and some random arrows, and various skill levels , and I didnt have any success making it happen. Rangers do have a little additional logic for critical hits, but at level 5, that cant be getting hit, you need lvl 12 and 65 ranged skill in the code to even hit that logic...

Might be fixed I guess..lol... Dont know.. Log onto Halls of Paranor when you get the chance and see if you can duplicate it there, maybe i was doing something wrong in my testing..

Thanks!

ExeterIsLame
01-30-2003, 04:40 AM
I ran into it on the "Xegony" server the other night... had tooned a Halfling Ranger and was gonna us a bow to pull... believe I was using a Shaped Shadewood Compound Bow and Class 6 Ceramic Silver Tipped arrows... first I tried summoning the "unlimited" stack... which has worked before for me... aka #summonitem <num> -1 and as soon as I tried to fire instant disconnect... Came back in... stack of arrows had bamphed so I summoned a legit stack of 20... same effect, as soon as I fired instant disconnect. Finally gave up and summonitem an unlimited charge version of the scorpion talon that casts Poison Bolt to use for pulling. This bug was occuring at lvl 1 since that server was a "legit" one without the ever so popular #level command.

mByte
01-30-2003, 05:03 AM
I use bow's all the time never get a disconnect. Im running a 4.1 server with the newest dbupdate and all bow aaxp.

Drawde
02-03-2003, 06:58 AM
Since discovering this problem, I haven't ONCE managed to get ranged weapons
to work without a crash. I've tried throwing weapons with a Bard, Wizard and Necromancer,
and bows with a Paladin, Shadowknight and Ranger. They all crash. I've tried setting
the archery/throwing skills to various numbers but to no effect.
Maybe it's related to the version I'm using (4.2DR1); when I was using 4.1 previously,
it would crash when using a bow as a Ranger, but not as a Shadowknight (didn't try any other
classes)

Auldar
02-03-2003, 12:41 PM
I was using 0.4.2DR1-Telmet..