PDA

View Full Version : Boot to Desktop

Mawlcisum
02-24-2003, 07:54 AM
I patched the EQLive servers today, due to the release of Legacy of Ykesha. They added various new UI files, zone files, mp3 files, txt files, etc. They added new graphic files as well, for the new cartography system they implimented.

All of these features went live today. After I patched, I re-did some of my UI files so they would be compatable with EQLive. Now here is my problem; since I patched EQLive, I am unable to connect to EQEmu. I either crash before the server select screen, or before the character select screen.

Usually once I crash before the server select screen, I restart EQEmu and all is fine. Although I am still unable to get to the character select screen. I know this could be in relation to the UI files, and perhaps since EQEmu hasn't gone live with the Legacy of Ykesha expansion I'm screwed.

Any suggestions of what to do? Anyone else having similar problems? (You would've had to patch EQLive on 2-24-03 or later)

Edit: HTML error fixed.

Chivalrous
02-24-2003, 08:55 AM
yes same problem... funny, i asked someone if was ok to patch and they said yes...

Windcatcher
02-24-2003, 09:41 AM
We need to do a better job of getting this message out.

Always use a separate EQ folder for EQEmu!!!

I can't stress this enough. One folder for EQLive, the other folder for EQEmu. I know it's too late, but perhaps everyone else might catch onto this. An ounce of prevention will save you enormous headaches.

If anyone told you it was okay to patch your EQEmu folder to EQLive, they misinformed you. The only time it's okay to patch your EQEmu folder (with SOE's patcher) is when a new version of EQEmu comes out, and they tell you to do so.

Chivalrous
02-24-2003, 09:45 AM
so reinstalling should fix?

Chivalrous
02-24-2003, 09:46 AM
and um, if i cant update forom soe, then will it update to the best supported through the eqemu patcher?

Windcatcher
02-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Beats me. Lots of people are complaining about problems. I suppose you could make a separate folder and try it, but I suspect you'll have to wait until someone comes up with a solution (if there is one).

Chivalrous
02-24-2003, 09:49 AM
your a bad admin :P you should know these things,lol

Windcatcher
02-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Ahem. I'll say this loud and clear: :evil:

I am not an emu dev!

I am not a server admin!

I only write a third-party tool!

It's called an admin tool because server admins can use the tool to make changes to their database. The tool talks only to the database. I don't even need to run a server to develop it; all I have to do is load a database.

I get a lot of questions and I try to help where I can, but with regard to the server I'm just as much of a n00b as the rest of you :( It's just that I DON'T play EQLive anymore (I haven't in a VERY long time), and I keep backups of my EQEmu folder. When I patch, I backup FIRST.

Chivalrous
02-24-2003, 09:59 AM
<--never played eqlive ima cheap bastard

AdVoCaTe
02-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Ok If You Have The Eq Disc, Reinstall EQ to a seperate directory, install eqemu into new EQ directory and you can play..if you want to speed up the eqemu patch (specially if on 56k like me :( ) then copy over zone files .s3d from eqlive dir to new Eq dir for eqemu.
this has worked for a few people i hear, hope it helps