PDA

View Full Version : patcher problem (new problem...as far as i know)

Vermea
02-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Alright, I haven't seen anyone else with this problem, which is why I started a new thread instead of reading the other ones, they dont apply to me, methinks. So here's the deal.

I download the patcher and run the executable. It starts to install and I get the following error:

1608: Unable to create InstallDriver instance

I've tried various things I've seen on websites, I even tried that download that file on the patcher site. Nothing has worked, please, help me out please? Thanks.

Vermea
02-28-2003, 07:03 AM
So I take it from the lack of anyone replying that nobody has any clue what to do? Well....I guess it sucks to be me.

Maybe they should release a zip format and use the patcher, that would make some sense. If you need files installed in different directories, then just include a text message that tells what should go where.

Vermea
02-28-2003, 12:22 PM
I start the installer and it extracts all the files needed. Then it brings up the installshield and it says it's checking the operating system, and the on to the next task. Configuring Windows Installer. As it's "configuring" my windows installer, that message pops up.

It seems to have stumped everyone cuz nobody wants to address it :)

cherry
03-17-2003, 08:12 PM
I start the installer and it extracts all the files needed. Then it brings up the installshield and it says it's checking the operating system, and the on to the next task. Configuring Windows Installer. As it's "configuring" my windows installer, that message pops up.

It seems to have stumped everyone cuz nobody wants to address it :)

Interesting. I have that problem, too - I followed the tutorial http://forums.eqemu.net/viewtopic.php?t=6318 here, and I did have that error message, so I downloaded the mdac update, and same problem.

Grollo11
03-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Add me to the list of people experiencing this "error". I'll keep trying ...

Grollo11
03-18-2003, 02:52 AM
... I punched the error code into Google (figured next logical step) and found multiple references to this type of error. I found this..

I was installing InkSaver and received this error: Installation failure 1608: Unable to create InstallDriver Instance. Is this a problem with InkSaver?

..on this page ..

http://www.strydent.com/support/inksaver-install-error-faq.html#5b

For the lazy it says ....

For Windows 2000

Select "Control Panel" from your "Settings" menu. "Settings" is found under your "Start" menu. Open Network & Dial-up Connections under "Control Panel".

Right click on the "Local Area Connection" icon and select properties. The window that opens will be "Local Area Connection Properties". It will give a list of components that are used by this connection. From this list look for "Client for Microsoft Networks". It should not appear on this list. If it does appear and has a check mark beside it, then it is already installed, so please contact Strydent technical support.

If it doesn't appear on the list of installed components click on the "Install" button below the list. The window that opens will give you the option to add "Client for Microsoft Networks". Click on the "Add" button.

Restart your computer.

As it turned out I had (in the past) been a smart arse and removed it. Boy is my face red!! :oops:

cherry
03-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a good solution, but (under the WinXP solution) mine's there and checked. :(

space
03-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Having the same problem, getting the 1608 error while trying to install the EQEmuPatcher.exe program. I'm on win2k and have the microsoft client thing installed... any ideas?

Grollo11
03-18-2003, 09:49 PM
My guess is keep looking. There were a million a whole bunch of hits on Google for this error message, many of them gave a different varity of fixes but this one I've posted on worked for me.
:shock: <-- Hans Moleman

cherry
03-19-2003, 04:28 AM
My guess is keep looking. There were a million a whole bunch of hits on Google for this error message, many of them gave a different varity of fixes but this one I've posted on worked for me.
:shock: <-- Hans Moleman

Exactly what search terms did you use? I tried "Installation failure 1608" + winxp, "Installation failure 1608" + "windows xp", "Installation failure 1608" + "win xp", and finally "Installation failure 1608" by itself, which came up with the site you mentioned, and one other, which only discusses a fix for Win2k.

ktroniik
05-14-2003, 04:20 AM
I had the same "1608" error while trying to install EQEmuPatcher into my win2k.
I managed to fix it with installing the Client for Microsoft Networks and restarting computer after that.
Thanks for the tip.