PDA

View Full Version : Spell Editing

Razzle
02-26-2002, 10:34 AM
I would post this in the #recover thread, but I don't want to derail it more than it already is...

Baron Sprite mentioned in the thread "#recover" that he is working on a spell editor- Yoda followed this up saying you can't distribute spdat files without getting banned.

If you create a completely unique spdat.eff though, with no original EQ spells, why can you not distribute it?

Also, do all players on your server have to use the same spdat.eff for those spells to work?

Baron Sprite
02-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Couldn't distribute the file spdat.eff on the forums, however I can post my editor :D
Also yeah I'm pretty sure they would all need the same, I start alpha testing of my program on my network tonight, will let you know, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes though ;)

Nada
02-26-2002, 05:13 PM
I'm looking very forward to see Baron's spell editing, i think it will be very cool program.

Baron Sprite
02-26-2002, 08:47 PM
http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=653

screenshot of first edit :cool:

Drawde
02-26-2002, 09:40 PM
What would be wrong with distributing a modified spdat.eff? It's not a binary file, and there's no way you can download EQ from it (unlike the EXE file). Not allowing this file to be distributed would hamper future mods for EQEmu quite a bit.
Maybe though it might be possible to make a patcher program that puts all the changes you've made to spdat.eff in a file which you can distribute, then can write the changes into an unmodified spdat.eff.

Baron Sprite
02-27-2002, 03:24 AM
Well you could distribute a unique file I would think since it would actually be going in the other direction of making it work :D

Yodason
02-27-2002, 09:12 AM
You may NOT use any VERANT content eg distributing modified spell file from verant(THIS will get you a ban). If its from scratch thats fine(I THINK it depends on how the data for spell editor was gained. HOWEVER I need to ask dev team on this)....

Yodason
02-27-2002, 09:17 AM
Spell editor is allowed. A BLANK one or example (NO VERANT CONTENT preferable approved by dev team) is allowed to be distributed with the program. OTHERWISE you are NOT allowed to post spell files without express permision of dev team and doing so will be treated as either a banning offense or a thread deletion offense depending on if verant content is used.

Vipermmx
03-05-2002, 08:10 PM
I was hoping someone would create a spell editor. With this we can tweak spells and increase the power or lesser them. Great work man keep us up to date!