PDA

View Full Version : Notes about 0.2.4 Beta Series

DeletedUser
03-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Well, since Quag is gone, I am kinda taking over the release department until he comes back and beats me to death over doing this:) I am going to release small betas for now since it has been so long since anything came out. I will release the source too (started with beta 3), and everyone which has submitted code before can remake it into the 2.4 way and post updates so we can merge them. This is far better than the way we had.

As for known bugs... Trading does NOT work. Merchants do NOT work. They need worked on, but Yodason has kinda stopped coding, so they are there for someone to pickup. We need help with the Crash to Desktop bug "everyone" (not me though) seems to be having... Help!:)

Let me know about the stuff here.

Hogie

Drawde
03-04-2002, 09:37 PM
If this helps, the unknown opcode message generated by trying to sell something to a merchant is "0x2720 size: 16".
Trying to buy something also locked up the client but didn't seem to generate a similar message.

I've actually found 2.4 beta to be much more stable than 2.3, I've never once got a "you have been disconnected" message or been booted out to the login screen when zoning or dying.

DeletedUser
03-05-2002, 01:08 PM
If this helps, the unknown opcode message generated by trying to sell something to a merchant is "0x2720 size: 16".
Trying to buy something also locked up the client but didn't seem to generate a similar message.

I still need to know what the server is suppose to send back;)

[B]I've actually found 2.4 beta to be much more stable than 2.3, I've never once got a "you have been disconnected" message or been booted out to the login screen when zoning or dying.

Woooohhhaaaa!:) 1 happy person. Why can't people in chat be like you? /whine /whine this doesn't work right, /cry /cry it keeps trying to connect to the 5999 port. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unsupported means it might not work the way you want too (hell, even supported software is that way).

TheClaus
03-05-2002, 01:13 PM
LOL.

I know what you mean Hogie. I said we should have a queueing system for problems. At least that way we can try to see what is going on. Oh well. People read the readme. Shawn did a very good job on it. As for myself testing out 2.4 I will get to it but looks almost like 2.3 setup wise.

strychn
03-05-2002, 07:04 PM
i would rather see minor releases, with minor fixes, that cause minor differences, then wait days(or longer) for a BIG release, with multiple big fixes.
i think things are looking up.
i was just wondering about differences between the login server on gotfrags, and the minilogin.
is it possible to compile minilogin to accomplish the same as the login on gotfrags?
mmm...
i'd be willing to contribute whatever to the server, just i dont understand the code easily and it's BADLY commented/documented.
i have everything running great with minilogin.
but what are the differences between minilogin and the gotfrags login that causes so many people to crash on gotfrags?
or maybe more info on minilogin, such that i could make it work with multiple accounts, other then eqemu.
i AM a programmer, but i have no access to "live" eq.
any info would be beneficial....:cool:

lacidar
03-05-2002, 10:38 PM
The source for the login server is available. It can be compiled into either login or minilogin. Only the latter is provided as a precompiled binary though.

The only main problem I have with login is creating new accounts, since I don't have access to the encryption algorithm. Login does a check on auth codes, which is the encrypted string sent by the client. The problem here is to get the initial value in there. I have a very hackish implementation now where I obtain this by storing the crypted string from the client by running login with a flag to create accounts. It's not completely automated though, so still looking for a better solution.

Nada
03-06-2002, 10:52 AM
I also think its a good idea to get the small releases and then release a big release, so at least we can get some new additions every 2-3 days.

steve
03-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Aye, perhaps the CVS on sourceforge could actually be used? :P It still has the original 0.1.4 release in there, if I remember correctly.

strychn
03-06-2002, 06:14 PM
minilogin works for at least two simultaneous logins.
i dont know to what extent it is reliable, but i've had two clients running locally, logged in with minilogin, on the eqemu account, with different characters.
i dont know what logging in two clients and using the same character would do, but i'm sure it couldn't be a good thing.
just in case anyone cares, and wants to somewhat reliably play with the emu with a friend.
i dont know if it works remotely, as both clients were running on my machine.

???

Yodason
03-07-2002, 01:03 PM
im here, just had 9 tests last week in school, plus flu like thing this week, plus national lation exam (lots of cramming next weak) then hopefully i can fix it if it hasnt been done by then