PDA

View Full Version : New thread, old topic =)

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 03:31 AM
Previously I posted this stuff...

sample line from boot5zones:

start zone . 192.168.1.101 9001 localhost

db.ini:
host=localhost

loginserver.ini:
worldaddress=192.168.1.101

192.168.x is my LAN IP for the World Server

This is the only way I've been able to log in to my own server using the login server. I haven't tried putting myself in DMZ yet, and that may allow it to work correctly with the external IP specified rather than the internal. SO without DMZ this is the ONLY way I've found that works for users on a LAN with a separate server and client to login using the existing LS. I also tend to wonder whether anyone else could get in as it is reporting the address as 192.x.x.x. Is the info displayed on the LS stuff that is sent by my server or is it responding to queries from the LS? In other words --- will the LS pass people off to the Worldserver address that I specify or does it know better? :D

Anyhow, I may play with it more later tonight. As for "revert to 0.1.9", Pyro I think you all know what we think of that idea *gets out the room freshener spray*.

madborg
01-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Previously I posted this stuff...

loginserver.ini:
worldaddress=192.168.1.101

That is the way I do it and it works fine. I believe that you can close all you firewall accesses and this will still work if you are trying to use private servers.

Here is what I think happens, you give the 192. address to the login server. Then you connect on your second machine to your 192. address which you an already do because you are behind the firewall. Presto you have a private server.

my guess, not proven
It may look like the outside world can connect to you, but they can't.

Anyone can test this out if they want because I will be putting a server up with "Come and get me if you can". I bet that no one will be able to enter my server except me.

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 08:14 AM
That's what I imagined was going on. It's why I asked if the LS knew better or not since it was receiving traffic in the form of name/zone info.