PDA

View Full Version : .MAP not found

evifnagol
01-22-2002, 10:48 AM
I've gotten everything to work (even being able to login without going thru gotfrag), and am able to create a character. however, when i try to enter the world, the zone.exe displays "can't find maps/qeynos.map" and the client just sits there. The zone eventually says "Login packet 1" but nothing follows. Are there .map files I need to download from somewhere?

Nada
01-22-2002, 10:56 AM
Evil are you using the 5zone boot or a individual zone? I suggest using the 5zone boot and leaving all the zone names blank so, when you want to go to a zone it will boot up for you.

evifnagol
01-22-2002, 11:47 AM
I've tried both. the boot5.bat works fine, i get all 5 zoneservers in sleep mode. it's only when i attempt to enter a zone that i get the msg.
I did happen to find the maps.zip file for the admin tool, and tried putting them in a /maps dir under my eqemu folder, but when i try to enter the world it immediately causes an illegal operation when attempting to autoboot the zone. (win98). if i rename the /maps dir I get the initial symptom - map not found, login packet 1, then a whole lot of nuttin.
If it matters, i have only the Kunark CD, and have removed eqmain.dll and running eqw.exe. i am able to specify my server (not same as client) and connect just fine.
--------------
just wanted to say a huge THANKS to the dev team, a wonderful job that i'm able to create a character at all. this is truly a gift to the world.

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 11:49 AM
umm with 0.2.0 do NOT delete eqmain. patch up to regular current eq patch status, copy the directory over and modify the eqhosts.txt. no deleting required with the latest release =)

DeletedUser
01-22-2002, 11:50 AM
It is searching for a map file for the zone (for NPC movement), but it shouldn't hang you must have a outdated version of EQ.

madborg
01-22-2002, 01:17 PM
First, if you are using 0.2, it shouldn't be asking for any map files -- although i see that the npc movement routines are still in 0.2, as they should be.

Life is simplier, easier with 0.2.

Take those map files from the admin tool and stuff them where the admin tool is installed.

**don't read this if you don't want to be confused **

There are two sets of .map files. 2D version that the admin tool needs for it's mob placement; these are small files.

Then there are 3D version map files that are used for mob movement and later will have navigational aid or be converted to some kind of floor plan (2D models). Those files are very large over 2 MB each. You can't download a set of those files. They are meant for anyone working with mob movement, not for general use.

But in anycase, 0.1.9 and 0.2 do not use the map files and the worst you get is an warning in 0.1.9 that you don't have the files.

Zeitgeist
01-22-2002, 10:18 PM
**don't read this if you don't want to be confused **

good work, borg, i love to see disclaimers like that =))) rofl!!!!

hogger
01-24-2002, 04:10 AM
The error does, in fact, occur in 0.2.0 - that's where I first noticed it. Come over some time and I'll show ya...

Zeitgeist
01-24-2002, 04:18 AM
ok are you fully patched?

hogger
01-24-2002, 10:11 AM
EQ Client? Yes.
EQEMu? Is there a patch?

Zeitgeist
01-24-2002, 10:19 AM
no there isn't a patch for the emu, just wondering if eq client was patched. i'm not sure what to offer except that I would kill the emu directory and drop the db and redo your .2.0 to see what happens.

hogger
01-24-2002, 10:40 AM
eeeeennnnhhhhh. I can live with the error. For the record though, that's just what I did (and do each time a new version comes out).

Could it be Drawde's spawns? I did import those...

Zeitgeist
01-24-2002, 01:29 PM
hmmm well anythings possible, i am also using drawde's spawns =)

madborg
01-24-2002, 02:45 PM
assuming we are still talking about the "maps" warning message...

It is just a warning message. Don't use the admin tool map files They were not meant for the Maps directory. The files that the server is looking for (but is not required) are 3D map files that are 2 MB each. You have to pull out the wld file then convert it to scr then use the program zone2map.

In 0.9.1 I took valid 2D map files and ran into problems so I renamed the Maps directory. In 0.2 I have NO maps directory, and I get NO warning message.

I can't explain for the same 0.2 one version is looking for maps and another version is not. But it is just a warning message unless you are doing mob movement.

hogger
01-24-2002, 04:49 PM
So what about that? Is it possible for a lamo like me to attempt mob movement? Are the map files in an s3d or something?

madborg
01-24-2002, 06:21 PM
So what about that? Is it possible for a lamo like me to attempt mob movement? Are the map files in an s3d or something?

yes you will be able to do mob movement. But not right now.
The zone wld file is converted to a 3D text file that can be read inside the zone server. This will allow server-side movement.

I am not doing the work so I am not the best one to give more details about it.

evifnagol
01-25-2002, 07:33 AM
Madborg, youre right, the error message didn't affect me being able to enter the zone (the only time it hasn't given me an illegal operation). But even fresh install of emu on a new server still shows the info warning.
Thanks!

Trumpcard
01-25-2002, 08:03 AM
Ive seen this message when you try to log into a zone that already has a zone server entry in the database. Use WC's EQADMIN tool to yank the zone out from the zone server list, and try to zone back in.

madborg
01-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Ok, I have finally seen the "Maps" message. I have go back and retry because I also got a error in registering the zone, and then went I tried again from a different machine, I crashed the world.

I am a little more cautious now because I am not seeing consistent behavior.

I am going to post more about this in the "patchme" thread.

**added**

But I think I am seeing some sort of pattern evolve in the problems. It's not as many as it seems. But I just need to be able to focus a little more and get a little more information.