PDA

View Full Version : PC VS Ethereal

gropplin
10-23-2003, 09:11 AM
I use Ethereal here at work to collect packets for troubleshooting purposes. has anyone out there used Ethereal AND packetcollector to know what the differences are?? And for packet collecting reasons, would Ethereal work for you guys if I collected packets with it instead of PC?

10-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Ethereal just collects raw IP/UDP packets. PC understands the format of the EQ datastream and automatically decodes the details of new items etc and forwards them to the EQemu devs ... as I understand it.

gropplin
10-23-2003, 10:50 AM
KK ill use PC then just to make things simple. . . Next question. . . as far as zones, which ones still need to be collected?? I am currently getting VT keyed on EQ live (just need emp) and I got most everything up to tower of solusek ro. and to do most zones I can just sit my character in a zone for a few hours and let mobs despawn and respawn and such and that will collect everything. . . Would it be more benifitial if I ran PC during a raid where we a guild killed some of the big mobs in the zone, Like Bertox/agnarr/terris thule/saryn/MM/VZ/TZ/RZtW? And do you guys need packets from the new Vulak ring in Ntov?

Take into mind that I THINK I understand how all of this works although since I have never tried it I will still have to "figure" this out and make it work. and then I have to wait for everything to be fixed anyways.

BTW awsome job you guys have done with everything, truely amazing. I cant wait till I can get my own server up and running here.