EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::News (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)
-   -   EQEmu Considering Deprecating Clients (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40853)

Uleat 08-28-2016 06:03 PM

I had about 20 smart-ass comments pop into my head..but, decided to go with the most appropriate.

Choosing the steam client is our current model..that unfortunately has left us client chasing rather than client focusing.

They tend to update steam days after we get it working...

RinoaV 08-28-2016 06:07 PM

Sorry, I was unaware of how often it was updated.

I was just trying to find a solution to a problem that will effect my players.

Uleat 08-28-2016 06:13 PM

That's just it though..they usually don't update it.

RoF was updated within 2 months and RoF2 was updated less than a week after one of the devs got it working.

I had started on TDS, with a dev branch, and about the time I actually got to the point where I could get into the game, they updated steam :/

RinoaV 08-28-2016 06:32 PM

Ouch, yep I can see how that would get annoying really fast, and why my im-possible solution would be a no-go.

I wish I had the programming knowledge you guys have, I could help you out. unfortunately all I have been able to do to help is add the old cultural armor to the database way back when, and stumble upon the guildmaster crash that you guys fixed in record time. Maybe with time I can figure out C/C++, it just might be my only solution.

rhyotte 08-29-2016 12:49 PM

I truly wish we had our own open source client, but that is highly non-trivial.

Still though,

Thanks to all of the dev's who work so hard on EQEMU!!

rdnck 08-29-2016 07:54 PM

I have no dog in this hunt, save that of a person who has spent as many or more hours on the emus as I have on the prod servers. I will say that we, as players on the emus, need a source for a viable client. Of whatever flavor finally makes the cut. I'm currently playing with a UF client, because the RoF2 client I had has gone bonkers, and I have to reset all my hotbars / socials if I cross a zoneline... o.O AND, I've been singularly unsuccessful at finding a place to get one.

Y'all make a decision, as the devs for the emus, select the client you want us to use, and make it available to us. :cool:

EQEMU2010 08-30-2016 08:16 AM

I like RoF2 tons of great features I prefer it but yeah Maze is right myself and tons of others always use free active hacks and don't want to pay a sub to use RoF2 version, I have compiled my own working version in the past but its haven't taken time to make it again and was on a SSD that went bad. sidenote:dont buy OCZ SSDs.

Up to the Devs, im game to be ROF2 only...

Maze_EQ 08-30-2016 08:57 AM

I'm always right, there's almost 0 reason to use a client other than RoF2.

I haven't used anything since Trevius made RoF2 work.

blackdragonsdg 08-31-2016 09:52 PM

Guess my one concern over this topic is now moot. I was reading the PEQ forums a few minutes ago and the general section was really amusing. I think some people have lost their minds because that one link is a disaster waiting to happen.

brokentechnology 09-01-2016 10:08 AM

I am all for this, my only concern is getting the client legally. I fully own it on Steam, but, that is not an option as the goal is to not chase live.

Obviously I can search the high seas and it's out there, but that is not the wanted approach.

How would we address the client moving forward? Would you update to match F2P (Steam) and say "Update on this day, create backup, don't update" and lock it to whatever client than or a different development approach?

Uleat 09-01-2016 01:20 PM

Well, I'll tell you that telling people to grab the available client or to pull in a server version on this day, or within this time-frame, is not an option.

People just will not do it...

Supporting RoF/RoF2 exclusively would essentially mean that we would be supporting a diminutive player base as that client binary is no longer legally available.

And I refer back to my argument about adding new clients... (why get rid of the old ones just to focus on a particular client, then add new clients - doesn't make sense
since you will have to adapt the server code to the new client just as you would the older ones... just cut my @#$! off now!)

jpyou127 09-01-2016 01:38 PM

I feel that at least keeping the UF client would be good. Most current players have it and its kinda right in the middle of the road when you compare it to Titanium and ROF/ROF2.

Celestial

Speedz 09-01-2016 01:54 PM

Branches and forks plus free will is all that needs to be said.
No one forces a server to use a particular branch.

That said, I been wanting to have our own royalty/copyright free open source client for years.
They never get off the ground.

jpyou127 09-01-2016 02:02 PM

I am with Mr. Uleat and Mr. Speedz with our own client!

Uleat, you are not receiving PMs here!

Celestial

Uleat 09-01-2016 03:01 PM

Sorry..I had to turn them off...

I've gotten over 600 pm's this year alone and 99% of them are for server setup help.

My time online per day is limited and I don't have the time to go one-on-one with people :/