EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::News (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)
-   -   EQEmu Considering Deprecating Clients (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40853)

wirepuller134 09-01-2016 08:28 PM

Oh but come on Uleat hold our hands!!

MarcusD 09-04-2016 12:40 PM

I predict more active development on the titanium branch. Availability of a client is #1 priority for an emulator. But by all means do what you want to do. It is your time.

demonstar55 09-04-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusD (Post 250884)
I predict more active development on the titanium branch. Availability of a client is #1 priority for an emulator. But by all means do what you want to do. It is your time.

The only server that has a lot of Titanium players is p99, and they don't count since they're a fork. There are a few other servers that focus on old content and only allow tit as well, but none of them have the user bases that compare to PEQ or EZ, which are mostly UF/RoF2.

Plus the most active developers currently (at least by commits) is me and akkadius, and we would both be continuing commiting to main branch :P

That being said, I still don't think we have a good enough reason to drop older clients, no matter how much I would love to :P

N0ctrnl 09-04-2016 02:20 PM

I was gonna say, I'd be shocked if many server ops these days gave much of a damn about Titanium. Just the ones looking for a classic-ish server, and they could still have done that no matter what decision was [or wasn't] made here.

MarcusD 09-04-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonstar55 (Post 250885)
The only server that has a lot of Titanium players is p99, and they don't count since they're a fork. There are a few other servers that focus on old content and only allow tit as well, but none of them have the user bases that compare to PEQ or EZ, which are mostly UF/RoF2.

Plus the most active developers currently (at least by commits) is me and akkadius, and we would both be continuing commiting to main branch :P

That being said, I still don't think we have a good enough reason to drop older clients, no matter how much I would love to :P

Well like you said it may not be the case currently but the fact is that many if not most players are here for the nostalgia not to keep up with Sony live EQ. As things shake out I think people will want to have titanium working so they can come back to eq anytime they want with an easy to get client that is working and stable on modern hardware; not necessarily new bells and whistles.

Scorpious2k 09-04-2016 03:54 PM

I just have to wonder, once we are running where no legally available version of the client is available, where does that put us? Do we have any semblance of plausible deniability at that point?

Couldn't Daybreak reasonably argue that since we know it can't be acquired LEGALLY, that the majority of new players are getting it illegally and we are therefore encouraging it simply by existing?

To me, whether it is used or not, Titanium is a way to say there is a version they can legally get and even give instructions how to do it within the law.

superemu 09-04-2016 06:04 PM

Since Daybreak doesn't mind people running server emulators (p99 at least), maybe someone can talk them into giving us the source of an old version of the client.

I can dream.

Oh, and since I don't have a copy of the RoF2 client, don't know how to get a guaranteed unadulterated copy of one, and would thus be screwed, I vote a hearty no.

DanCanDo 09-04-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusD (Post 250888)
Well like you said it may not be the case currently but the fact is that many if not most players are here for the nostalgia not to keep up with Sony live EQ.

I have similiar thoughts like that. Even though I consider it none of my business
on where the whole project/team's vision has been all along, as far as where
they plan on going with the whole project or in which direction, is the main goal
to simply create a F2P copy of EQ Live ? (chuckle)
But on the other hand, I wouldn't rule out the end of EQ Live sooner or later,
and this whole EQEmu would be the only existence left of it.

Uleat 09-04-2016 07:28 PM

EverQuest Emulator

No one here can spell it out simpler than that.


The gaming era that we support is a balance of code features and database content - with an emphasis on the latter.

Whenever we (EQEmu) make source changes, those may or may not affect the ability of the content providers to move their support forward.

If the content providers need us to make a change to implement something in their content, we do.


We are not project1999, axclassic, stormhaven or any other of the myriad of servers out there that have specialized/focused code and content.

MarcusD 09-05-2016 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uleat (Post 250899)
EverQuest Emulator

No one here can spell it out simpler than that.


The gaming era that we support is a balance of code features and database content - with an emphasis on the latter.

Whenever we (EQEmu) make source changes, those may or may not affect the ability of the content providers to move their support forward.

If the content providers need us to make a change to implement something in their content, we do.


We are not project1999, axclassic, stormhaven or any other of the myriad of servers out there that have specialized/focused code and content.

You are the guys doing this and I don't want to argue, but my viewpoint is as someone who played EQ the summer it was released and like many old NES players; you want to have that game in your library so you can preserve it and keep playing it once in a while into the future. Unfortunately it is impossible for any one person to preserve old everquest themselves without an emulation team. So for me a big role of an emulator is to carry that 'old' game forward so they can keep playing the game they remember into the future. If an NES emulator game system stops supporting Duckhunt and Mario 1 and excitebike so they could add support for 90's NES games easier they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater IMO.

That said as a "collector" if I needed to keep around a current PC, current server installer, and old emu git code and I could preserve "my copy" of eq titanium so I could keep playing it into the future that would be fine. As long as all this current stuff still works into the future and the code and installers still available somewhere I won't complain. Personally my direction would be to add support for pre-kunark client to preserve the launch game but I'm not the one doing this.

DanCanDo 09-05-2016 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusD (Post 250900)
Unfortunately it is impossible for any one person to preserve old everquest themselves without an emulation team

Technically, for an average player, they can keep coming back and playing on
the old classic of a server like P99. No matter what changes the project goes
through, that will probably never change.
As far as a server OP, they do have the option of keeping up their own classic
vision, without needing the support of the eqemu dev team.
I don't have the coding knowledge they do, but (wild guess here), there is only
so much one could do for the Titanium client, without moving in to progressing
forward with updated source code and not adding new features, that aren't
already there for that "nostalgic" feeling. Personally, I think it's more the "classic"
DB that needs to be "thrown on the shelf" for one to come back and play it
when in the mood.

MarcusD 09-05-2016 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanCanDo (Post 250902)
Technically, for an average player, they can keep coming back and playing on
the old classic of a server like P99. No matter what changes the project goes
through, that will probably never change.
As far as a server OP, they do have the option of keeping up their own classic
vision, without needing the support of the eqemu dev team.
I don't have the coding knowledge they do, but (wild guess here), there is only
so much one could do for the Titanium client, without moving in to progressing
forward with updated source code and not adding new features, that aren't
already there for that "nostalgic" feeling. Personally, I think it's more the "classic"
DB that needs to be "thrown on the shelf" for one to come back and play it
when in the mood.


If it was open source, sure. Of course. But its not. Honestly I don't trust the devs there either. I even got temp banned for camping a single xp mob so I could...gain xp. So I left and at this point the only people I feel I can trust to preserve the game so everyone can play is eqemu team. And now with seemingly akkadius's lead they seem to be leaving people behind. First the 32 bit people, now every client besides rof2 it seems. So I don't quite trust them anymore to preserve this game for everyone.

Akkadius 09-05-2016 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusD (Post 250905)
If it was open source, sure. Of course. But its not. Honestly I don't trust the devs there either. I even got temp banned for camping a single xp mob so I could...gain xp. So I left and at this point the only people I feel I can trust to preserve the game so everyone can play is eqemu team. And now with seemingly akkaidius's lead they seem to be leaving people behind. First the 32 bit people, now every client besides rof2 it seems. So I don't quite trust them anymore to preserve this game.

You are misinformed sir

DanCanDo 09-05-2016 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusD (Post 250905)
Honestly I don't trust the devs there either.

I wasn't around way back when P99 got started, nor when this whole EQEmu
project got started, but I took a good through the changelog, dating back to
when it was first started. Not sure if you noticed MarcusD, but the whole
"eqemu team", consists of many contributing developers, including Rogean,
from as far back as 2004 (what I seen in changelog).
As far as "32 bit", I think of that just as much as dial-up (chuckle) I am even
suprised to still see it in homes these days, but everything progresses, which
is usually for the better, and "some" of us have to suck it up and roll with it.
But making "assumptions" all the changes are being made from one person's
thoughts, no, I don't think so. I would imagine all the eqemu devs communicate
a lot before any decisions are made.

Scorpious2k 09-05-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superemu (Post 250896)
Since Daybreak doesn't mind people running server emulators (p99 at least), maybe someone can talk them into giving us the source of an old version of the client.

That was almost what I was thinking... what if we could get them to sell a version of the client for us? Maybe a page on their site we could link to. They get the money and actually benefit from our existence - albeit probably a small sum. It would give us the single client target we want and make it available to everyone.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.