EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::News (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)
-   -   EQEmu Considering Deprecating Clients (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40853)

demonstar55 09-11-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daerath (Post 251058)
It is the belief that a separate RoF2 branch somehow blocks new players is what has me confused.

If people want an "all clients" server they use the legacy branch.

If they want an RoF2 server they use the RoF2 branch.

If I made a UF only .net port of the emu, that wouldn't suddenly make people switch to that single implementation. People would still use the version they want that gets them their desired player base.

He's talking about people wandering over from p99, they wouldn't be able to do this. He's not talking about someone starting a server with tit support.

daerath 09-11-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonstar55 (Post 251063)
He's talking about people wandering over from p99, they wouldn't be able to do this. He's not talking about someone starting a server with tit support.

As of this moment there are 103 servers running.

Lets say you branched to an RoF2 branch today and somehow had all of the changes ready to remove all but the RoF2 client, reworked the inventory system, etc.

Are you honestly saying that the existing 103 servers, some of which are targeting Titanium would somehow magically switch to the new RoF2 only branch?

Would ALL of those server owners wake up the next morning and say, "Fuck it. We're going RoF2 only bitches, go pirate a copy to keep playing!1!!eleven!!!"

No. Some would switch, likely those that already encourage use of RoF2. Some would not switch because they are focusing on Titanium or UF.

I don't see how P99 players would be impacted at all short of every server owner switching to RoF2.

Scorpious2k 09-11-2016 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daerath (Post 251058)
It is the belief that a separate RoF2 branch somehow blocks new players is what has me confused.

Maybe the confusion is in the fact that this discussion is about dropping all but one client?

Quote:

If people want an "all clients" server they use the legacy branch.
And this magical legacy branch of which you speak, it is supported? Bugs are fixed? Enhancements are added?

Since the topic is brought about because dropping the other clients would make the workload less, I think you can see the answer is no. It's a dead branch. Unsupported. What you get is the last copy of the server before the switch.

Quote:

If they want an RoF2 server they use the RoF2 branch.
And if you want support, the same is true. How about a guess on how long before support questions or even simple help becomes off topic on the forums because (I repeat) it is unsupported old code?

Don't delude yourself thinking there will be two separate, parallel branches and you simply choose from one or the other. There will be an active and inactive (dead) one.

Scorpious2k 09-11-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daerath (Post 251064)
I don't see how P99 players would be impacted at all short of every server owner switching to RoF2.

As I was pointing out, when some of the 1000+ p99 players hit max level, get bored, or just curious they are likely going to try other servers. They use Titanium, which is supported, so they can. When it isn't supported, they can't.

demonstar55 09-11-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daerath (Post 251064)
As of this moment there are 103 servers running.

Lets say you branched to an RoF2 branch today and somehow had all of the changes ready to remove all but the RoF2 client, reworked the inventory system, etc.

Are you honestly saying that the existing 103 servers, some of which are targeting Titanium would somehow magically switch to the new RoF2 only branch?

Would ALL of those server owners wake up the next morning and say, "Fuck it. We're going RoF2 only bitches, go pirate a copy to keep playing!1!!eleven!!!"

No. Some would switch, likely those that already encourage use of RoF2. Some would not switch because they are focusing on Titanium or UF.

You appear to have missed the entire point they were trying to make. I would recommend re-reading their post.

daerath 09-11-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonstar55 (Post 251067)
You appear to have missed the entire point they were trying to make. I would recommend re-reading their post.

I do get the "legacy would be unsupported" point. That was in the very first post of this thread. That's what it means to freeze a branch.

The actual question is that if the emu devs don't all want this, why was this even proposed?

Scorpious2k 09-11-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daerath (Post 251062)
Having an RoF2 only server could be argued as encouraging piracy, but the exact same statement could be made for having any RoF2 functionality in the emulator server at all. There are also RoF2 servers, yours included that require or "encourage" use of the RoF2 client, so if that were an issue then the community as a whole has already gone down that path.

Not true. At the moment it can be said that RoF2 support (and UF, et al) are provided for those who legally downloaded it when it was legally available. The new player instructions specifically state if you missed the chance to download any supported client legally, you can buy Titanium.

Support RoF2 only and whether you admit it or not, any NEW player can only have gotten a client illegally. You could argue otherwise, but really? Argued in a courtroom, which do you think would win?

As I have said before, plausible deniability is gone.

Akkadius 09-12-2016 02:33 AM

I think having this discussion has been productive, while we will continue developing as we have with multiple clients, this discussion has brought about many points and perspectives that will be nice to have established when and if we need to make a different decision in the near future pertaining to this topic. For now I am locking this thread as it has served its purpose.

Thanks everyone.