EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Simple Client (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=667)
-   -   Questions (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25653)

Texvor 07-12-2008 09:22 AM

and another question I hope this is in the right place...

Would it be possible to update the source that comes with this for the server, to use say the 0.5.8 items table and zone table? If so how difficult will it be to do?

Texvor 07-13-2008 02:29 PM

I saw in the log for settup up delphi for oz that the same or nearly the same setup is needed for SC is that correct? Or will there need to be other changes needed in addition?

Cripp 07-13-2008 02:39 PM

very close..

SC source proly isnt going to be released anyways.

so quit dreamin! :D

Texvor 07-13-2008 02:45 PM

Windcatcher said he would probably be releasing it today earlier in this thread right?

Garekas 07-13-2008 02:53 PM

Well he said he was mulling it over actually. Im sure we all hope he does release it, but in the end it is his project so its his decision alone

Cripp 07-13-2008 02:55 PM

ya he shouldnt release it just becasue a couple people want it released. especialy if he doesnt want too, yet/not yet.

chuckltn73 07-13-2008 02:57 PM

Well TBH the possibility of SC being opensourced was the reason I was sticking around, its precisly what I have been looking for, though its incomplete and reading this thread, Wind said he was burnt out on it, so if its not opensourced I wont stick around, Really dont want to have to sit around and wait for indeffinate ammounts of time for bigfixes when I could do them myself.

So Im with Richardo and begging for opensource LOL

Garekas 07-13-2008 03:00 PM

Exactally, I suppose the real question of it is, are those few people the only people using it at this point and thus the only interested parties? We havent really heard from that many people, so it would seem something is keeping people from even trying the program out.

Texvor 07-13-2008 03:13 PM

Ummm why did he get banned? LOL Guy got banned like the instant he registered?

Cripp 07-13-2008 03:15 PM

hes been banned many many times before on different names.
dont derail the thread thx.

btw, Texvor = Garekas

Texvor 07-13-2008 03:19 PM

Sorry Was just curious

chuckltn73 07-13-2008 08:24 PM

Well, My idea if it is not going to be release publicly is to perhaps release it on request under some form of non disclosure agreement / eula, that way he can control who gets the source while at the same time, allowing people to tweak the client as they need to. This will also allow others to make and submit bugfixes and further the development. So in essance it could be a controled open source project.

That is my suggestion, to atleast give him a sort of safety net if he does not feel comfortable releasing the source to everyone.

sesmar 07-14-2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texvor (Post 152467)
I see windcatcher might be opensourcing this... what language is it written in? Does anyone know?

Simple Client is written in Delphi

[Edit]
Well, apparently I did not read far enough down to see that this was not needed anymore, sorry.

chuckltn73 07-14-2008 10:02 AM

Just for clarification, Windcatcher is it being released or not? Above you said sunday but thats come and gone and we have had no updated word fron you yet on your thoughts?

Windcatcher 07-14-2008 04:25 PM

I still haven't decided. For everyone out there, PLEASE STOP PM-BOMBING ME ABOUT IT! I plan to work on it tonight to see what improvements I can make, but one thing that would really help (big time) would be an intelligent discussion on how server ops could deal with the possibility of cheating with an open-sourced client. I suspect that it would involve one or more layers of encryption in a closed-source version, but this isn't something where I'm knowledgeable. Maybe there should be a common LS-level crypto with individual world-level crypto? I have no idea, but if I had some idea of what is required I could at least put some hooks in place. The main point of trying to spur this discussion among all of you though is so I can make a more informed decision. Releasing the source is not something that can be undone so I want to be certain that it won't be a catastrophic mistake.

In the meantime I want to try to make a minor architectural change to prepare for a *possible* open-source release as well as try to address the bugs that have been found recently. I might even add a really simple options window so things like window fade can be controlled. I have no set plan for tonight, but these are some of the things I have in mind.