EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Misc::Off Topic (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=595)
-   -   Vanguard Emu (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23271)

Irreverent 07-27-2007 03:36 AM

Vanguard Emu

Ok, love the game...hate its state.

Its so going to be phased out soon, they're already offering free EQ2 with all expansions to subscribers who have canceled. Plus going for the 12 servers to 4. Its just going to be Matix/SWG low-income. I thought SoE just purchased it for its Intel Property.

Anyway, I'd freaking love to get a emulator working on it. Because it has SO much ability. However, its only had one retail release and that was buggy beyond comprehension. So I think its going to be impossible until they supposed "re-release" in sept.

Blakine 07-27-2007 07:09 AM

Played the beta, never bought it. I thought since McQuad was part of it that it would be good, like the original Everquest. It did not deliver. Not surprised it is having difficulties.

But yeah, an emu might be cool...

John Adams 07-27-2007 07:53 AM

This is something I stumbled upon a while ago: http://vgoemu.com/

I can't say anything has been done, and I think Ramsey is busy with SWGEmu, but who knows. I'd love to see an early VGOEmu too since any dev on an emulator will far surpass the actual Public Alpha we've been playing.

image 07-28-2007 07:52 AM

Sony isn't the type to shutdown a game, I think it will be a while before if they ever do shut it down. There is plenty of time to pull out an emulator in the future.

mixxit 07-18-2010 03:11 PM

lets get this going before it goes the way of mxo

http://vanguardemulator.wordpress.com/

Sepiniath 08-12-2010 08:28 AM

This is one game that's in need of an emulator more than anything

dalamar1011 07-13-2011 05:22 PM

Shameless bump, if someone can get a RIFT emu going surely something can be done for VG as well.

provocating 12-19-2011 03:03 PM

Yes, it would be nice. One of the problems with Vanguard in a whole is the client is somewhat clunky. When playing it live just recently, back in 9/2011 it was still slow on an i7 with an Nvidia Fermi

John Adams 12-20-2011 09:59 AM

Couple of us at EQ2Emulator have been looking into the initial work Ramsey (SWGEmu) had done. Nothing serious yet, just in our spare time.

If any dev types are interested in getting serious about it, let me know, otherwise it's just seeing what we can make happen. Hopefully we can get the ball rolling before the last server disappears.

Or has it? hah

provocating 12-20-2011 10:30 AM

From what I read the other day, it is done, over, turned off.

Might had been this one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sta...lic,14300.html

I am wondering, I know SWGEMU kind of had a reboot recently where they took a step back, way back and started over. I am guessing they are still in an infancy stage ? Just strange as long as that has been going that it is not at a higher stage of completion.

Expletus 12-29-2011 02:12 PM

I'd give my left and right testicle for a vanguard EMU server. I'm that serious about it!

provocating 12-29-2011 02:23 PM

I know, I mean with a good community it could actually turn out better than what was originally put out.

Expletus 12-30-2011 12:31 AM

I agree 100%.

Amphitryon 01-03-2012 05:29 PM

Tbh, one is better off taking the Ryzom core and modifying it as opposed to emulating. I mean you have open source client, server, tools, and world editor.

Myself, I have been exporting assets from SWG and converting them for use in Ryzom Core (models, textures, heightmaps).

Basically decided it was easier to create a new Star Wars MMO using the Ryzom Core and the now-dead SWG's object assets than to wait around for a server emulator for it (been 6 years now and still nothing of appreciable quality in that department)

At least this way I am not gated, not limited by client licensing issues, or by having to wait on reverse engineering efforts, and get open source client/server code that gets updated along with the live code.

Ryzom Core is almost like having a turn-key MMO development platform.

Great if you want to make you own MMO (content-wise) but lack a stable full of C++ developers skilled in reverse engineering and a desire to work on your project. Instead a MMO project can be all about getting 3D modelers, scripters, world designers instead.

provocating 01-03-2012 06:08 PM

Yeah I was in shock when I heard they released the core and the client.

Expletus 01-13-2012 07:14 PM

*bump*

Vanguard vanguard rah rah rah!!!! :-D

xinu 03-08-2012 02:57 PM

:D

Initial VG Login Work

Expletus 03-08-2012 04:58 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!

xinu 03-12-2012 02:28 PM

Well from some more playing around the packets are kinda weird and from what i've noticed you can have the following.

You have some packets that are encrypted and some that are not it depends on what is in the packet. Packets can also contain plain text and encrypted data. I have also noticed in a packet you can have the acknowledgment at the start of a packet and at the end of a packet.

Regardless been trying to figure out how they are handling the encryption but been unsuccessful since encryption is not my strong suit. So if anyone wants to take a crack at it be my guest.
Going to be posting up all my finding/playing here and how to bypass the launcher and just use vgclient.exe to run the game later on. I also have the breakdown of the Hex -> Ascii map they use for chat packets posted up.

http://mmoemulators.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=83

provocating 03-12-2012 05:01 PM

I think it is encrypted unless it contains your credit card information, then it is stored plain text :-)

xinu 03-12-2012 05:35 PM

LOL for instance here is a chat packet.

Code:

5b            //seq
80 55 80 56        //ack
00 06
80 01
84 8b 09
00 00
00 3a 80 32 00 36 00 36 //tell
00 10 //space
00 11 //"
00 2c 80 30 00 36 80 34 80 39 80 39 00 3c //Xalissx
00 11 //"
00 10 //space
00 24 80 32 00 36 00 36 80 37 //Hello
00 00 80

Which is pretty straight forward same with character creation packets.

Tempest 03-13-2012 04:39 PM

I would really like to look into this, but it tells me "You are not authorised to read this forum".
Is there a wait period after registration before viewing certain forums?

xinu 03-13-2012 05:37 PM

Nope just tried it on my normal account and got there just fine make sure your logged in and try going to the main forum link MMOEmulators . I'm going to have that section of the forum changed to at least be view-able to guests tonight.

Tempest 03-14-2012 10:20 AM

Thank you.

xinu 05-01-2014 08:51 PM

This is a hell of a bump but just wanted to give a update on the progress of the EMU so far. Since SoE decided it was going to close down Vanguard we decided to give it a go and we are making decent progress. We currently have a nice group of collectors running around packet collecting for us but we could use some more if anyone is interested.

Here is a video a made a week and half ago where we were hard coding spawns and randomly spawning 5 mobs whenever you logged in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBb9...ature=youtu.be

Now we have it loading from our Database and i got the UI loading today on it's own. I plan on doing another video hopefully tomorrow of a spawned zone.

xinu 05-02-2014 08:06 PM

And here is a updated video of spawns loaded from our database instead of being hard coded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baya...ature=youtu.be

rhyotte 05-03-2014 02:25 AM

Cool! Going to be watching this.

xinu 05-30-2014 08:42 PM

Just thought i would drop a update.

This is being able to see other players ingame. (still a little buggy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwseCeuk1yQ

provocating 05-30-2014 08:54 PM

Keep us updated on your excellent progress please.

xinu 06-29-2014 06:05 PM

In-game chat initial work has been committed and here is a little video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAgmEm5j9Cg

rhyotte 06-30-2014 08:53 PM

Cool

/10char

xinu 07-08-2014 08:44 PM

Quick little update:

Added: Much better movement support (no more spawns appearing and disappearing while moveing)
Added: Characters will now save and load more data from the Database
Added Login: The char_lasteen timestamp will now be utilized when a character is saved world-side
Changed: made world a bit less spammy on the logwrites
Changed: re-enabled proximity spawning

provocating 07-08-2014 08:55 PM

How much longer until sunset of Vanguard?

xinu 07-08-2014 11:08 PM

The end of this month. Ugh to much to do not enough time.

xinu 07-29-2014 05:29 PM

Picked up a new Developer Volt and we are still looking for more if anyone is interested.

Basic lua support is now in and a few commands have been added.

http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/downlo...=621&mode=view

and had to throw this in.

http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/downlo...=574&mode=view

xinu 08-28-2014 04:21 PM

Been awhile since a update sorry about that been busy.

Here are the major points factions have been introduced so NPC's should show the right color name now and character running/walking movement should be fluid now (Rotation still a little choppy tho). Emotes are in and working and offensive targets should show the right information along with characters having Titles now..

And here are the patch notes since the last update.

r642
Common: Added 2 new log categories: LOG_TITLE, LOG_FACTION Parser: Fixed struct changes to titles and factions New VCProject files.
---------------------
r641
Fixed another bug with factions. The count wasn't initialized. Updated the faction code to use the new DB column names.
---------------------
r640
Changed `value` column names in factions code. Added FactionInfoList.* to project files.
---------------------
r639
Attempt to fix compile issues on Windows.
---------------------
r638
Fixed some linux compile issues in UnrealActor.
---------------------
r637

---------------------
r636
Added basic faction functionality to WorldCharacter. ChunkServer now handles the OP_ClientNpcFaction opcode. Added 'factionset' and 'factionget' commands. More comment clean up for the title code. Added a basic say handler to LUA that lets ...
---------------------
r635
added in struct for OP_ServerSlashCommand
---------------------
r634
Cleaned up my title code a bit and added better (doxygen ready) comments to it. Moved the TitleInfoList into the WorldDatabase class so that it isn't a global anymore. Fixed a compiler warning in ConfigReader.
---------------------
r633
Fixed a bug that caused the PacketStruct class to never load the last 2 bytes of data if the struct elements are 1 byte types.
---------------------
r632
Login: additional loggers Parser: Fixes to warnings World: Public binary commit
---------------------
r631
fixed typo in OP_ClientAccessObject struct
---------------------
r630
Camp command: Added robustness check vs invocation from clients with empty (null) characters, including added warnings to client and server console.
---------------------
r629
Quick fix to CampTimers to prevent world crash - still need root cause determined Added MaxMovementSpeed rule, default of 1500 Capped .speed command due to communication issues with players using ridiculous speed settings vs proximity spawn...
---------------------
r628
Changeing faction data names to all match
---------------------
r627
fixed the Packet struct 'WS_Unknown904' (type=2) (server) not found changed the opcodelist.h and just added the structs for faction that ratief needs
---------------------
r626
Volt: New Telon DB as requested (possible camptimer character data issues)
---------------------
r625
Added `factions` table for Ratief (raw data, ignore the `faction_value` column, just for reference)
---------------------
r624
OP_ServerClearTarget2 & OP_ServerClearTarget3 for Volt
---------------------
r623
added OP_ClientOffensiveTargetOOR
---------------------
r622
Additions to HandleOffensiveTargetRequest: Offensive target portrait now hooks up to target level and target compass (direction and distance). Also a value for target dot color is added, but it is for now hardcoded to "white".
---------------------
r621
Fixed two issues with command /hail.
---------------------
r620
Implemented handler for right-click on actor. (Any right-click of a no-PC actor results in "hail" default action. Thus no fancy stuff yet.)
---------------------
r619
Replication Movement Fluidity: Actors will now replicate fluidly, rather than jumping around. Walk/Run animations will show. Changes made to include Velocity in Movement Packet, changed velocity algorithm. What is NOT done is Actor Rotation...
---------------------
r618
Added SendConnect() to Process(), section where tcp.reconnect() is called. This will send the proper TCP Connect packet to the Login Server, to properly re-establish connection after a Login Server crash.
---------------------
r617
Made a few changes to how character info is set: -- Removed the character->Set stuff per the comment in SendPlayerInitPackets() ++ Moved those character->Set's to WorldDatabase::LoadCharacter() preparing for loading more character data from...
---------------------
r616
Dakadin: Quick fix to stop world crashing until we figure out the cause of the empty queue
---------------------
r615
Committing public binaries
---------------------
r614
Few more files to clean up.
---------------------
r613
New vgo_world.sql with Volt's `emotes` table, and cleaned out test data from `lua_script` table.
---------------------
r612
Linux fixes
---------------------
r611

---------------------
r610
Emotes RC 0.1
---------------------
r609
Emotes RC 0.1
---------------------
r608

---------------------
r607
Raw data through today's logs
---------------------
r606
C++ Parser changes Should parse just about everything now (except unreal)
---------------------
r605
SQL: Cleaned up spawn tables, added character_attributes and FKs to character tables *Noticed there was no title_id 600, so I made them Citizen (600) of VGOEmualtor (601, type 1) !! new vgo_world.sql !!
---------------------
r604
proj files for the title list
---------------------
r603
Emotes: Implemented targeted emotes and broadcast to nearby characters. Emote: Minor rework and fix for broadcast to nearby characters.
---------------------
r602
another adjustment...
---------------------
r601
Changed the WS_Titles struct to be consistent with the other title structs.
---------------------
r600
Fixed some typos in the title db field names.
---------------------
r599
Fixed my mistake of using the wrong element names for the title structs.
---------------------
r598
Updated the title related opcodes.
---------------------
r597
Adding my work to get titles working in game. I also cleaned up the character save/load functions a bit in preparation for for save/loading in the future.
---------------------
r596
another attempt at udp lockup fix
---------------------
r595
fixing my mistaken sln commit :oops:
---------------------
r594

---------------------
r593
fixed a udpserver crash
---------------------
r592
Renamed class _VoltDraftTickTimer to TickTimer
---------------------
r591
Renamed class _VoltDraftTickTimer to TickTimer
---------------------

xinu 11-04-2014 06:21 PM

Thanks to Volt's hard work, we have some basic NPC Dialogs working -- so well in fact, my cheeks hurt from smiling at being able to write a LUA script and click the options :) Bravo, Volt!

Everyone should come to Isle of Dawn on New Telon, and speak to Tan Fen Greatcloud. He has an interesting story to tell you!

http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/downlo...php?id=926&t=1

and the code to go along with it.

Code:

function spawn()
end

function opening_dialog(NPC, PC)
  OpeningDialog = GetDialog(NPC, PC)
  SetDialogGreeting(OpeningDialog, "Tan Fen Greatcloud says, \"Ahh! Thank you so much for answering our call for aid. I am Tan Fen Greatcloud, and I humbly welcome you to the Isle of Dawn.\"")
  AddDialogOption(OpeningDialog, "Can you tell me about the VGOEmulator Project?", "VGOAbout")
  AddDialogOption(OpeningDialog, "No, I am busy.", "DialogPCDeclined")
  CommitDialog(OpeningDialog, PC)
end

function VGOAbout(NPC, PC)
  CustomDialog = GetDialog(NPC, PC)
  SetDialogGreeting(CustomDialog, "Tan Fen Greatcloud tells you, \"There has been no greater adventure known in all the world than trying to reconstruct a world from our fleeting memories! Those involved in this project are true heroes, indeed.\"")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Who are these heroes?", "VGOHeroes")
  CommitDialog(CustomDialog, PC)
end

function VGOHeroes(NPC, PC)
  SetDialogGreeting(CustomDialog, "Tan Fen Greatcloud smiles and says, \"You have not heard of the great and powerful Volt? Who has brought you these amazing dialogs so you can speak with me? Surely you have.\"")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "What about the others? They must have done something too!", "VGOOthers")
end

function VGOOthers(NPC, PC)
  SetDialogGreeting(CustomDialog, "Tan Fen Greatcloud exclaims, \"Of course! John, Xinux and Scatman brought the world into being. Xen unraveled the mysteries of my very existence. Ratief determined your titles and whether or not I even like you with Factions! Not to mention those seekers of data who risked their very lives to bring you the world you see before you.\"")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Tell me about the Data Collectors!", "VGOCollectors")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Okay, I am bored now. Bye.", "DialogPCDeclined")
end

function VGOCollectors(NPC, PC)
  SetDialogGreeting(CustomDialog, "Tan Fen Greatcloud holds his head in reverence, \"Ah, the Collectors! They were sent out into the world to discover all of Telon's secrets and return them to John, who used their discoveries to resurrect the world you know as New Telon!\"")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Tell me about VGOEmulator again!", "VGOAbout")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Tell me about those Heroes again!", "VGOHeroes")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Tell me about those Others again!", "VGOOthers")
  AddDialogOption(CustomDialog, "Okay, I am bored now. Bye.", "DialogPCDeclined")
end

function DialogPCDeclined(NPC, PC)
  SetDialogGreeting(CustomDialog, "Tan Fen Greatcloud tells you, \"I'll be right here when you wish to speak again. Farewell.\"")
end

function DialogNPCDeclined(NPC, PC)
  NpcSay(PC, "Tan Fen Greatcloud says, \"Come back when you have gained more experience.\"")
  CloseDialogWindow(PC)
end

And while we are posting progress, here is some more!

It needs a little more work and then I have to clean out some stuff that doesn't belong in the starting abilities, implement the subclasses.

http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/downlo...php?id=927&t=1

xinu 11-20-2014 05:13 PM

Been a little bit so bringing you guys some videos this time.

This video will show the following.

Character creation

Starting hotbar populated

Starting abilities/racials populated

Adding items to your inventory with preview

Adding item to the correct equipment slot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGC3...ature=youtu.be

This one will show training abilities from a trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGe...ature=youtu.be

vildainn 12-02-2014 09:08 AM

Awesome thanks Xinux!! Wish I knew more about the coding side of things to assist in the EQ2 and Vanguard Emulators. Was long time fan and huge contributor to both of them.

xinu 01-03-2015 10:18 PM

Had our after Holiday/New Year meeting if you guy's want to read through it here is the chat log.

http://vgoemulator.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1116