EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::Server Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Varlyndria Server (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42262)

Drakiyth 01-08-2019 05:10 PM

Varlyndria Server - Coming Jan 2019

https://i.imgur.com/niZdUoy.png

Greetings everybody,

I have been developing a new Varlyndria server for well over 3 months now and it will be available to play in January of 2019 by the end of this week.

OFFICIAL FEATURES ADDED TO THE SERVER SO FAR
• ROF2 client only.
• Level 50 cap because it fits well with this server, as well as a custom AA system. (more info below)
• All equipment of level 50+ has been changed to level 50 rec/req.
• No Bots or Mercenaries this time. They would defeat the purpose of the class pets I made.
• Custom NPCs added and some custom quests. This is a work in progress and more will be added as the server grows.
• There is an NPC that will fix stuck characters in New Sarith. He'll send every one of your toons to Plane of Knowledge. Very easy to use and works great.
• 2 boxing allowed but only 1 character online per account. Donation Tier 1+ allows max of 4 accounts per IP.
• Shared Bank is working fine because you can't be online with 2 characters of the same account.
• Very fair and user friendly donation tier system. NPCs handle pretty much everything account wide.
• No Class Path system this time. I have decided to go with a new vision with this server that offers even more fantasy without locking you up.
• Spells, Songs, and Discs, are now purchased from custom vendors.
• The old Spell, Song, and Disc vendors have been removed.
• Spells, Songs, and Discs, now cost far more platinum to purchase.
• Obtaining money will be important to progress your character.
• There are 16 spell categories that can now be purchased. (See class cards)
• The new hub zone (Sarith, City of Tides) has a portal master that will get players to various main player-friendly locations.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f40/20/00/67/85/new_sa10.png
• Custom locations that sell Spells, Songs, and Discs, are designed to toss you into the fantasy of that theme.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f40/20/00/67/85/diseas11.png
• All 16 Classes have a much larger variety of spells and abilities they can use now, but there are a lot of restrictions to keep class identity.
• All spells, songs, tomes, etc, have been changed to No Trade. This is to prevent a huge amount of money abuse.
• A lot of changes to spells have been made and many new spells have been added to the game. You will immediately notice if you're an EQ veteran.
• Class Cards (Details on Affinity Levels) have been added to the forums. This is a level penalty system -- Higher numbers are bad. Low are good.
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5...ass%20Card.png
• Almost all abilities are now very fast casting but have longer cool downs. Bard songs have remained unchanged and they can twist.
• Bards can use Disciplines from level 1 now to give them some staying power as a fighter if they so choose to purchase them.
• Bards use Disciplines to summon pets now starting with their first pet at level 13.
• All classes can use pets and have various level penalties based on class.
• There are over 1200 custom pet spells (Including Ranks) distributed over the 16 classes.
• Players who prefer to go petless can get a strong affinity buff like fire, water, etc.. that procs a strong unresistable nuke.
• The nuke has a chance to go off when you fight in melee combat, fire/throw a ranged weapon, use a harmful discipline, or cast a harmful spell.
• All petless buffs (Lone Wolf) will destroy your pet with reclaim energy, and casting a pet will remove any Lone Wolf buff that you have on you.
• Players can progress through more difficult PEQ content solo/group with the Blessing of the Tides system.
• To gain ranks of this persist-after-death buff, players need to speak to the Keeper of the Tides in Sarith City.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f40/20/00/67/85/keeper10.png
• The Keeper of the Tides will provide you and your pet 1 rank of Blessing of the Tides for every 50 total ability scores you gain beyond 600.
• Ability Scores are: STR, DEX, AGI, STA, INT, WIS, CHA (The 7 main stats)
• AGI and Heroic AGI have been nerfed in their evasion and dodge. Points of AGI still count for Blessing of the Tides so it's always useful.
• Custom AA system that uses AAs from Serpents Spine down. All of the character sheets look very good with no buggy "unknown" AA's or any of that.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...77/unknown.png
• Players can get AA points at level 1 and up by killing creatures. The chance to gain a point is 1% per level per kill. This works in groups and solo.
• All AAs can be purchased with the level cap at 50. Levels changed on thousands of AAs.
• The NPCs killed to have a chance at gaining an AA point have to be your level or higher.
• Dria, the Wise will raise your 7 main ability scores even further for AA points, so your blessing of tides buff gets stronger and stronger.

nenelan 01-08-2019 10:05 PM

What's the over/under on longevity this time? I could use some extra cash. Anyone got odds?

I want to like your servers. But they are never out long enough. Great ideas, no follow through or duration.

Drakiyth 01-08-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nenelan (Post 261195)
What's the over/under on longevity this time? I could use some extra cash. Anyone got odds?

I want to like your servers. But they are never out long enough. Great ideas, no follow through or duration.

Eriviyn was given to another dev after I left. That was when my life was in a bad place and I didn't have time to work on it any longer. I am in a very comfortable place now and have time to work on Varlyndria. My goal is to keep the server going for a very long time. The server is also very automated so it doesn't demand too much of my time with say stuck characters and such. I made sure to make it easier on both the player and myself this time around.

Randymarsh9 01-08-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakiyth (Post 261197)
Eriviyn was given to another dev after I left. That was when my life was in a bad place and I didn't have time to work on it any longer. I am in a very comfortable place now and have time to work on Varlyndria. My goal is to keep the server going for a very long time. The server is also very automated so it doesn't demand too much of my time with say stuck characters and such. I made sure to make it easier on both the player and myself this time around.

I loved Eriviyn when you were running it. I'm happy to hear that you're in a good place now, and I look forward to seeing everything you come up with for your new server. Good luck!

Emoo 01-08-2019 11:59 PM

Valyndria

Eriviyn was my favorite server. I am super excited to try this out. Trying to wrap my head around the class cards and affinities, can't wait to see how that translates to in game abilities. Sleepless weekends incoming.

Kailow 01-09-2019 10:07 PM

Can't wait to try this out, Drak

Dogmai9 01-10-2019 10:18 AM

Do we have an estimated launch date better than "Jan?"

Drakiyth 01-10-2019 06:44 PM

Varlyndria will be getting a sneak peak tonight around 7 MST or so. Be there. If things go smooth I may go ahead and launch with what I have so far and we'll go from there. Keep up to date on the Varlyndria discord. Click my sig for more info on that.

Drakiyth 01-10-2019 11:55 PM

Had a rough start due to zone server issues but things are fixed now. Come play and have fun.

J3wish 01-11-2019 03:23 AM

I was so excited for this server. The past servers have been a blast.. until a certain point. Both Varly 1 and eryvien. I figured that whats we were getting back into. When I seen this page pop up, I was like fuck ya, Varlyndria is back on the menu.

Until I actually read the post and remembered the worse parts of the past iterations. In your top 10 bullets, 2 of them are focused on donations. I thought, alright sure, whatever. First log in, drop into PoK, looking good. Go to the first "hub" zone, at the landing area from the zone in, a giant swarm of "donor" mounts. Walking up to the city to where your Tides buffer is, the road all the way is flanked by your different tiers of donor toys. Hell, you even have a option on your porter to take you straight to the donor area...

This is what led to the downfall of your previous servers IMO. Greed, trying to wring as much money out of your players as possible. The ideas and concepts you had behind them were amazing, but allowing people to donate for unlimited power only leaves you with those who donated for the unlimited power. Nobody else could hold a candle to them.

While there is obviously some tuning to be done on the server itself, since it was just released, the one thing that is going to drive people away from this server is the blatant attempts at trying to squeeze as much cash as you can out of your playerbase.

You said you spent the last couple of months developing the server, however
it feels like it was spent developing options for donating.

Edit: As I was writing this, you moved the donor area away from the main hub. However, the point still stands.

Drakiyth 01-11-2019 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J3wish (Post 261245)
I was so excited for this server. The past servers have been a blast.. until a certain point. Both Varly 1 and eryvien. I figured that whats we were getting back into. When I seen this page pop up, I was like fuck ya, Varlyndria is back on the menu.

Until I actually read the post and remembered the worse parts of the past iterations. In your top 10 bullets, 2 of them are focused on donations. I thought, alright sure, whatever. First log in, drop into PoK, looking good. Go to the first "hub" zone, at the landing area from the zone in, a giant swarm of "donor" mounts. Walking up to the city to where your Tides buffer is, the road all the way is flanked by your different tiers of donor toys. Hell, you even have a option on your porter to take you straight to the donor area...

This is what led to the downfall of your previous servers IMO. Greed, trying to wring as much money out of your players as possible. The ideas and concepts you had behind them were amazing, but allowing people to donate for unlimited power only leaves you with those who donated for the unlimited power. Nobody else could hold a candle to them.

While there is obviously some tuning to be done on the server itself, since it was just released, the one thing that is going to drive people away from this server is the blatant attempts at trying to squeeze as much cash as you can out of your playerbase.

You said you spent the last couple of months developing the server, however
it feels like it was spent developing options for donating.

Edit: As I was writing this, you moved the donor area away from the main hub. However, the point still stands.

I agree with you completely, I put those NPCs there for easy access orginally, but I can see that they were rather intrusive and that's why I decided to move them into an area of their own. Donations are always helpful, but I did not spend the time and passion on this project just for that. I am a big gamer myself, and I enjoy EQ a lot. That's also one of the major reasons I didn't make the donation system P2W. Varlyndria is a little bumpy right now with some balance issues with melee classes at the start, but I will be making some solid changes to help out with that. I really do appreciate the feedback. I hope to see you back online and having some fun once this all smooths out.

EDITED:

MAJOR QUALITY OF LIFE CHANGES AND AID TO MELEE CLASSES

• The Melee Damage of all weapons on the server has been increased by 100%.
• The AC of all items on the server has been increased by 100%.
• Items that give AC now give an extra bonus of + 2 HP per point of AC for all items on the server. Example 50 AC = 100 extra HP.
• All spell costs have been reduced by 100%
The AGI changes I did to the source to prevent being invincible had a very negative effect on overall protection. These changes will make you far less squishier.
Melee will also be competitive with pet users now, dealing far stronger damage.

InfiniteHashbrowns 01-11-2019 06:16 AM

Having played all night i'd just like to say that people should give this a fair shake. The donation thing is a sore point for a lot of people but the npc's have already been moved, and more importantly the server is very fun. It's not perfectly stable, but this was day one.

The class system looks VERY interesting the further in I go and the adjustments just made to melee classes is going to help a lot. Also lower spell prices.

Don't let that first night entirely turn you away. There's something special here coming together. Just my two cents.

Drakiyth 01-11-2019 06:31 AM

Varlyndria is now available to all players. Remember this is a work in progress and many things are going to be added to it. Enjoy and have fun.

Emoo 01-11-2019 12:11 PM

1st night fun

Played until 11:00pm PST, had a blast. Having 18 people in discord chomping at the bit to get going created a fun buzz.

I played an Enchanter to level 10, was a pretty smooth leveling experience. My biggest gripe was the mana regen was so slow I had to med a bunch but that was on me, there is a buffer in the hub that I just forgot about who gives clarity. The fun of learning a new server.

Looking forward to playing this weekend. It is very different than the previous servers and I am curious to see how that plays out.

Things I wish I had known when I started:
First thing in the hub is talk to the guy standing in the cart next to where you zone in. Get the axe to chop trees and then right click on it while standing at a tree to damage the tree. Start with weak trees and work your way up (the damage increases over time). Don't just equip it and auto attack... This will get you cash for spells and gear and buffs.
Group while chopping trees (everyone gets each group members wood :oops:)
Get the 10pp buffs from the dragon who roams just inside the front gate.
(Caster) Gear vendors are to the left of the Tide Buff guy as you enter the gates in the first door on the right. Can get armor and upgraded weapons. The CTRL-F pathing for this was a little wonky (went down into the water and up under the room)
In Field of Bone, the scorpions drop a carapace that the quest woman next to the logging guy will pay ~220pp each. Good way to get money for gear and spell upgrades.

Drakiyth 01-11-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoo (Post 261253)
Played until 11:00pm PST, had a blast. Having 18 people in discord chomping at the bit to get going created a fun buzz.

I played an Enchanter to level 10, was a pretty smooth leveling experience. My biggest gripe was the mana regen was so slow I had to med a bunch but that was on me, there is a buffer in the hub that I just forgot about who gives clarity. The fun of learning a new server.

Looking forward to playing this weekend. It is very different than the previous servers and I am curious to see how that plays out.

Things I wish I had known when I started:
First thing in the hub is talk to the guy standing in the cart next to where you zone in. Get the axe to chop trees and then right click on it while standing at a tree to damage the tree. Start with weak trees and work your way up (the damage increases over time). Don't just equip it and auto attack... This will get you cash for spells and gear and buffs.
Group while chopping trees (everyone gets each group members wood :oops:)
Get the 10pp buffs from the dragon who roams just inside the front gate.
(Caster) Gear vendors are to the left of the Tide Buff guy as you enter the gates in the first door on the right. Can get armor and upgraded weapons. The CTRL-F pathing for this was a little wonky (went down into the water and up under the room)
In Field of Bone, the scorpions drop a carapace that the quest woman next to the logging guy will pay ~220pp each. Good way to get money for gear and spell upgrades.

I am glad you're having fun. :) That NPC was bugged and was giving too much money. I hotfixed her this morning to give 1.5 to 3 plat per shell turned in. Down from 15 to 30 plat. That was too many zeroes when I was half-asleep at the keyboard.