EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::Server Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Nostalgia With Brother (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43366)

iseeyou 07-30-2021 05:11 PM

Nostalgia With Brother

Hi All,
I recently randomly looked up the kelethin soundtrack and it made me reminiscent of the time my brother and I played Everquest when we were children.

We were only allowed an hour a day on weekends each and only had one account to play on. We always wanted to play together but our family couldn't afford it. We were also playing on another friend's account.

We're much older now and I want to set up a server to play with my brother and advance through everquest classic (No Kunark or any other expansion) Basically be able to do what we wanted to do when we couldn't afford it.

A little background, I am in technology and run my own servers so I am familiar with technical jargon and the installation (hopefully). My question is, before I start the setup, will I be able to play original everquest with the original database? Is there one provided?

I'm talking no mods, no customizations, pure server with all the content for when I was 11 years old. We want to be able to experience what we missed out on. Quests, NPCs, Zones.. etc.

Thanks everyone and appreciate your responses!

Quientus 07-31-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iseeyou (Post 266968)
Hi All,
I recently randomly looked up the kelethin soundtrack and it made me reminiscent of the time my brother and I played Everquest when we were children.

We were only allowed an hour a day on weekends each and only had one account to play on. We always wanted to play together but our family couldn't afford it. We were also playing on another friend's account.

We're much older now and I want to set up a server to play with my brother and advance through everquest classic (No Kunark or any other expansion) Basically be able to do what we wanted to do when we couldn't afford it.

A little background, I am in technology and run my own servers so I am familiar with technical jargon and the installation (hopefully). My question is, before I start the setup, will I be able to play original everquest with the original database? Is there one provided?

I'm talking no mods, no customizations, pure server with all the content for when I was 11 years old. We want to be able to experience what we missed out on. Quests, NPCs, Zones.. etc.

Thanks everyone and appreciate your responses!

In short, the answer would be no.

If you only want to play original (Classic, atleast to me is Original + Kunark + Velious), you will need to do some coding changes on your own, if you want a fully "classic" server ...

The closest thing on Emu to a pure classic server is p99 and they don't share their database as far as I know ...

iseeyou 07-31-2021 06:53 PM

Ah thank you for the response, that's a shame.

Is there any way for us to experience game with all the same quests? I just want to start off where we left off. We had started in faydark, did crushbone, took the boat and level in west commonlands, went to oasis, and then were doing gnolls? In the karanas.

ChaosSlayerZ 07-31-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iseeyou (Post 266972)
Ah thank you for the response, that's a shame.

Is there any way for us to experience game with all the same quests? I just want to start off where we left off. We had started in faydark, did crushbone, took the boat and level in west commonlands, went to oasis, and then were doing gnolls? In the karanas.

it is possible, given you will put time into it - we talking about from weeks to months of work depending on how exact you want this to be.
If you only care for basic things like - does Batwing Quest in Kaladim works? Its probably already there. If you care about - wherever specific named lev 32 mod has exactly 3571 hp and always drops item X - those things may need to be fine tuned.

It took Project99 team (which had about dozen people) around 5 years to make it EXACTLY HOW IT WAS. But if you less picky than they are - you could probably have 80% close in only few days.

Or simply start playing on P99 - the new server (Green?) and see how it works for you

Huppy 07-31-2021 08:46 PM

Your best bet may be the Firiona Vie server. Tons of hours put into that one.

https://fvproject.com/index.php/Main_Page

iseeyou 08-02-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ (Post 266973)
it is possible, given you will put time into it - we talking about from weeks to months of work depending on how exact you want this to be.
If you only care for basic things like - does Batwing Quest in Kaladim works? Its probably already there. If you care about - wherever specific named lev 32 mod has exactly 3571 hp and always drops item X - those things may need to be fine tuned.

It took Project99 team (which had about dozen people) around 5 years to make it EXACTLY HOW IT WAS. But if you less picky than they are - you could probably have 80% close in only few days.

Or simply start playing on P99 - the new server (Green?) and see how it works for you

The former rather than the latter is more important to me!

We're hesitant to join another server because I feel like we won't get that feeling of starting a game full of unknowns. We'd encounter a lot of people who have been through the horse and pony show a few times and arent around to smell the flowers.

ChaosSlayerZ 08-02-2021 08:36 PM

Another thing to mention - Classic EQ is HARD. If its going to be just 2 people playing, even with perfect set up like Warrior + Cleric or Monk + Shaman, you going to hit a brick wall at around lev 40.
There are mobs and places you can't break in without a full group. And of of course raid mobs are out of the question ;)
So you know what you getting yourself into ;)

Chrysocome 08-03-2021 01:38 AM

play on p99 red, use /roleplay, and turn of ooc. you're very unlikely to run into anyone for quite awhile.

Sturm 08-03-2021 11:11 AM

Just come on over to Imperium.

Don't take any hand-outs from the players willing to do so and enjoy a relaxed experience while you journey through the old world.

You'll be able to easily duo with your friend as any class combination while exploring at a leisurely pace all the way upto the Gates of Discord.

Trust me, you're going to like it here. 100% guarantee or your money back (you didn't pay any money and don't need to. heh)

The nostalgia is real!

gnukesa 08-04-2021 12:19 AM

who cares?

or if you 2 want to run around just the 2 of you, create your own server, and self restrict yourself to original. the rules are set up so no one breaks them and uses stuff from future expansions when they shouldn't.

You two can self govern yourselves. When you feel like playing somewhere new go to kunark, when that gets tiring go to velious. have fun and explore.

go to p99 and just self regulate yourselves. it's fun.