EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::Server Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   EQ2002 Up and Running (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41223)

GRUMPY 03-19-2017 06:49 AM

EQ2002 Up and Running

This is a copy of Secrets EQ2002 database. MANY thanks to him for letting me use it to carry on with it.
Any players who were enjoying this before, your toons are still there. (including YOU Secrets) :)
Server is on a solid dedicated box and will stay up 24/7 unless a reboot is needed for updates.

robrosoft 03-19-2017 09:00 AM

Is there anything different needed to connect here? At first I was able to get to the character select, but got disconnected after that. Now I get "1018: you currently have an active character...". The odd thing is I get this message even if I login with a different account.

GRUMPY 03-19-2017 09:08 AM

Its all RoF2 client. There is a link in the MOTD when you first login to grab custom files.

robrosoft 03-19-2017 09:18 AM

So the client we used originally (Secret's download) should still work? I get the following after selecting my character and trying to get in.

[Sun Mar 19 09:12:28 2017]00329:Initializing character select UI.
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:28 2017]00330:Resetting game UI.
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:40 2017]00331:Zone Connect -- 0 -- Received MSG_ZONE_ADDRESS
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:40 2017]00332:Zone addr [70.64.201.61:40731] received...
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:41 2017]00333:ZONING
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:41 2017]00334:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:41 2017]00335:Networking: using port [65045].
[Sun Mar 19 09:12:41 2017]00336:Networking: Connection Established [1]
[Sun Mar 19 09:13:41 2017]00337:Could not connect to 70.64.201.61:7071 [client:DisconnectReasonConnectFail,server:Disconne ctReasonNone]. Negotiation count: 598.

[Sun Mar 19 09:13:41 2017]00338:Networking: Connection Closed [0] with 0 pending bytes.
[Sun Mar 19 09:13:41 2017]00339:Failed to connect to zoneserver (70.64.201.61, port 7071), result = 1, for MSG_ZONE_ADDRESS.

[Sun Mar 19 09:13:41 2017]00340:THE SERVER IS NOT RESPONDING.
[Sun Mar 19 09:13:41 2017]00341:
end of DisplayScreen

[Sun Mar 19 09:13:43 2017]00342:disconnected at C:\p4\EverQuest\live\EverQuest\EverQuest.cpp:17851 (char. select) g_world == NULL

[Sun Mar 19 09:13:43 2017]00343:Character is .

[Sun Mar 19 09:13:43 2017]00344:YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED.

GRUMPY 03-19-2017 09:19 AM

Ok, Hang on it's still showing you online, but I am going to lock it and see whats up.

GRUMPY 03-19-2017 09:28 AM

Ok, I found a little "technical glitch" (grin) My zone port range forwarding had a typo, one friken digit. Sorry about that.

robrosoft 03-19-2017 09:31 AM

Thanks! I am in now :)

GRUMPY 03-19-2017 12:35 PM

There's a NEW download link in the motd on login for updated spell files (v5)
I will have a webpage up within about 14 days max. (not doing those free ones).
I'll work on getting a forum and allaclone setup as well. Step by step .......haha

EDIT - Forgot to mention - (to Secrets), feel free to logon anytime and do some yard work. (you're still 255) :)

NostalgiaEQ 03-19-2017 08:54 PM

my suggestion is make a blogger, free hosting and a lot you can do with it.

GRUMPY 03-19-2017 08:56 PM

Don't worry Nostalgia, been around for years ...............

Maze_EQ 03-20-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ (Post 253571)
my suggestion is make a blogger, free hosting and a lot you can do with it.

Men make websites.

Liberals make blogs.

GRUMPY 03-20-2017 11:22 AM

The website is already in the development stage, which I will include a changelog listing the ongoing work being done.
Yesterday I tackled a few little odds and ends. Got some pok stones fixed and got rid of the lobby and baz doors altogether.
Next on agenda is getting rid of the "out of era" AA's and putting all the gnolls back in splitpaw.
Just as Secrets had planned, there is only a "small few" modern features left in for this intended era, and everything else
will stay on track, with no compromises. It's not a matter of trying to produce something similiar to others, but in reality,
when we have a big list of servers like we do already, running into repetitive content is to be expected.
Many players out there have their "game plan" for what they enjoy and I have mine. As we speak, everytime I log on,
I get that emote, "You have gotten better at having fun"

NostalgiaEQ 03-20-2017 03:04 PM

mabye we can split the work of getting the knolls in splitpaw since I need to do that too.

Were you thinking of just getting rid of the elementals then looking at p99 wiki or whatnot to change the spawn coords of the knolls that are currently outside the lair to inside by changing their zone in the spawn2 table and coords?

GRUMPY 03-20-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ (Post 253586)
mabye we can split the work

A lot of this is development I have already done on my own project long ago, which was headed in the same
direction as this one. This project with Secrets work came up as a very sudden, spontaneous thing, prompting
me to put my own work on the shelf, but it's just a matter of running a few queries to incorporate some of
my own work into this server. There's no need to delete the elementals to replace them with gnolls.
In the DB, most of the NPC Id's are 18000 - 18112. Just edit those to race 39 and adjust the levels, stats,
etc. Move all the gnolls in Karana to the proper spawn points in paw and rename the elementals to various
gnoll names. From there it's just a matter of picking away at spawn details and loot.

NostalgiaEQ 03-20-2017 06:21 PM

hmm cool didn't know they just replaced the basic knolls with elementals one for one. So basically if you convert the elementals at their current spawn points to knolls and add in the special knolls then you have it back to pretty much classic?

Any ideas on fixing boats?

Uleat 03-20-2017 07:06 PM

Can't fix broken..SOE broke those when they updated the client to dx9.

ghanja 03-20-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uleat (Post 253604)

Yep, collision detection gone to shit. Would have required too much work on SOE's part, enter the Translocator.

However, there is one or two models where it does work "properly", which ones at the moment escapes me.

GRUMPY 03-20-2017 08:33 PM

Chronicles of Norrath server description, states "working boats" ?

NostalgiaEQ 03-21-2017 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUMPY (Post 253606)
Chronicles of Norrath server description, states "working boats" ?

Ya I remember that, I need to jump back on there and test it out but I did at one point and they did seem to be mostly working. Obviously p99 added in levitate somehow to make them work, my levitate spell doesn't accomplish a similar thing so not exactly sure how they did that either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uleat (Post 253604)

Hmm good to know. But any type of "hackjob" to make it pseudo work is better than nothing.

Another question, does following the boat while swimming allow you to zone? I just really don't like the translocators for my pre-kunark server so ya xD.

provocating 03-21-2017 08:06 AM

You need the file pack from the website to make everything 100%, but yes all three servers have them working.

jpyou127 03-21-2017 08:07 AM

If you search these forums the owner of Chronicles of Norrath-Provocating, gives some details on how to make the boats work. If you look back in my post history you can also see info as several of us had questions. Biggest thing is that you have to persistent zones. Anyway its on the forums, just search for it.

Provocating chimed in above =)

provocating 03-21-2017 08:31 AM

Basically this is what you have to do, refer to my prior post if you want very specific details. First you need to make the zones containing boats 100% static, this will mean editing the source to some extent. Just launching the zones as static is not enough, movement goes dormant when there are no clients in the zone. The spawns need to remain moving even when clients in the zone are zero, at least the boats do. Having everything moving will keep the boats synced up. You absolutely have to have levitate on the boats, there are no options on that. The Kunark boat has several spots on the deck you will fall through, so there is that. Other than that it is all about timing, plenty of globals to keep track of the boats. You will notice I did hails in some of the zones from the dockmasters or the Dwarf at the Butcherblock docks, this helps the players know the locations of the boats.

You do the zoning by catching the boats next to last waypoint, gathering all the clients within the vicinity of the boat and porting those to the next zone. The boat has to be in the next zone and ready to receive players or they will hit the water. The hardest boat by far to do was the skiffs in Butcherblock, getting those synced up to the Kunark boat took me an extremely long time, probably 2 weeks.

They are 100% functional though, I know I have done hours and hours of constant testing and never fallen off a boat. The only time you would is if you went LD. But that is classic right?

ChaosSlayerZ 03-21-2017 09:47 AM

Sorry for stupid question - they did make boats work on P99 - no? Or they made a work around like the above?

provocating 03-21-2017 10:07 AM

Yes, their boats work. They do occasionally get stuck from reading forum post. They went with more of a c++ solution on the transitioning of clients between zones. They also have to use a pseudo boat levitate for the same reasons.

Also, these solutions work fine with Titanium and Underfoot but do not expect them to work with ROF based clients. The X,Y and Z positions on those clients are different when you enter a boat. That is why you can have an Underfoot client see you just fine until you enter a boat with a RoF2 client. Suddenly the clients cannot see each other. It has been a year since I messed with it, but I see to remember the RoF2 client having it's coordinates consider the boat as 0,0,0

Uleat 03-21-2017 11:40 AM

I think the model coordinates switched from actual to vehicle offset in that case.

Seem to remember something funky like that when messing with the row boats.

provocating 03-21-2017 11:47 AM

Correct. When using ROF, your coordinates are based off what they consider the center of the boat. As soon as you step off the boat you go back to normal zone coordinates.

GRUMPY 03-21-2017 08:53 PM

Just wanted to mention something about this server (see OP), haha. Some people think these type of non-solo "grinding" servers
are not fast enough experience for them. There is a player on this one, who was just level 26 two days ago,(when I got db from
Sercrets) and just himself with a merc has gained 17 levels already without doing it 24/7. He's just really good at EQ and knows
his game.

Maze_EQ 03-22-2017 11:15 AM

I meant to play.

Instead I played Mass Effect for 14 hours straight.

Oops?

mjbcb0717 03-22-2017 01:16 PM

Iv been playing solitaire. And sometimes I go outside

Maze_EQ 03-22-2017 01:28 PM

What is this "outside"?

GRUMPY 03-22-2017 02:00 PM

I tried that outside thing today. There was ...... people out there. I got scared and ran home.

sculler 03-22-2017 03:03 PM

I love the idea here, but I just don't see how anyone can be expected to put the time in to build up a character when realistically, with the boxing restrictions, there will never be enough people on to do raid/higher end content.

Thoughts?

trentn 03-22-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculler (Post 253693)
I love the idea here, but I just don't see how anyone can be expected to put the time in to build up a character when realistically, with the boxing restrictions, there will never be enough people on to do raid/higher end content.

Thoughts?

Ditto. I have no problem grinding, but to grind and not have the ability to do end game content for that expansion and hoping for 30+ real people to level and play seems not likely.

GRUMPY 03-22-2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculler (Post 253693)
with the boxing restrictions, there will never be enough people on to do raid/higher end content.Thoughts?

I understand your thoughts on that totally. There is probably a good portion of the casual player community who would
agree with you. It will take time to build up the population, if there is indeed an interest for a server like this. If it turns
out that there is no interest, then possibly the server wasn't meant to be. Even with boxing, there would have to be
enough players to group and raid. The only other option for a player to reach the high end content, is to convert the
server over to a "solo" server. But content is built to encourage grouping, etc., so if there is no interest in that kind of
player integration, then there really isn't any point in this server existing.

GRUMPY 03-22-2017 06:02 PM

Something I find fascinating about this whole kind of topic, (Legit, custom, etc.) it was the first thread under this
general server discussion category in 2004. (as per this website anyway) 13 years later ......haha

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16012

Excuses 03-22-2017 09:29 PM

If players can't do endgame with another 1 or 2 players, they won't play. Nowadays servers are becoming popular for the solo experience, dulling down the content or adding box and bots to their teams.

There should be a poll somewhere on what players are after in a server, then work off that.

Keep to your guns and do what YOU what regardless of what other players want. Or take the hit and make it solo.

GRUMPY 03-22-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excuses (Post 253711)
Nowadays servers are becoming popular for the solo experience

You're right, it is becoming the norm in these modern EQ days. Personally, I think it's at a point where players
should just have their own 'EQ game console" at home, haha. Those MMO playing days are fading away.
The modern solo servers just give players an opportunity to have someone to talk to while playing their own
game. (or ask how to solo)

I've had my own project that I have been working on for awhile now, but this particular one is what Secrets
was doing with his own goals, so out of respect, I have no intentions of taking it in a different direction.
Myself, I love servers like this, and thats the main reason I took advantage of the opportunity to host it and
keep it up and running for those who may be interested.
Being realistic, there is nothing more special about this server, than other similiar era's. It's another PoP
server with a classic ruleset and a couple modern perks. There is other servers out there for players
to "solo their way to quarm", so I would be suprised if they haven't done it already.

rhyotte 03-22-2017 10:04 PM

Servers that stay around and prove themselves available, and have dev's who listen with intent, earn players over time. This sounds pretty cool.

I missed looking for it... does this server support "mining" for various metals for blacksmithing? Shards of Dalaya I know has that, and 1 or 2 others I think. Always thought that was a pretty cool touch.

NostalgiaEQ 03-22-2017 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentn (Post 253705)
Ditto. I have no problem grinding, but to grind and not have the ability to do end game content for that expansion and hoping for 30+ real people to level and play seems not likely.

It's called advertising. The people who created/run this have invested into it; if you like the idea the least you can do is try to spread the word, make forum posts, make youtube video's etc.

Eqemu is what you make it. Nothing more nothing less.

GRUMPY 03-22-2017 10:17 PM

First of all, I am not out to "earn players". That's not really my reason for having this server up. If it does
develop a population, then it could be a good thing. Aside from the little perks that Secrets added to it, the
whole entire content, rules and mechanics are targeted for that 2002 era. Right now, I am giving this server
some time to see what happens and if there is no interest in the longrun, then decisions will be made about
it's existence on the public server list.