EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::General Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=586)
-   -   Question to the devs of emulator. (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37144)

Drakiyth 08-05-2013 08:05 AM

Question to the devs of emulator.

If your mission was to cause the largest lag spikes possible on a server what would you do? As a player or a dev.

Drajor 08-05-2013 11:12 AM

Sleep(10000) !
But seriously. Have you tried profiling code that you suspect?

Akkadius 08-05-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakiyth (Post 223133)
If your mission was to cause the largest lag spikes possible on a server what would you do? As a player or a dev.

I would use the bot system, as they are known for infinite loops and lag spikes.

:)

Lillu 08-05-2013 06:37 PM

I would ask Akka to host the server. =P ..wait, nevermindit!

Drakiyth 08-05-2013 06:44 PM

Players on Varlyndria: Ascension are reporting that looting is causing lag. What in the world would cause this, as I have never encountered this problem before?

Lillu 08-05-2013 06:47 PM

There's a "feature" to log who looted what first, can't recall the name. Turn it off.

Akkadius 08-05-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakiyth (Post 223147)
Players on Varlyndria: Ascension are reporting that looting is causing lag. What in the world would cause this, as I have never encountered this problem before?

Loot Firsts in rules_values, it checks a table to see if the item has ever been discovered before, it is taxing because it queries every single time instead of performing lookups in memory

sorvani 08-05-2013 10:28 PM

This has been a problem on PEQ For like a year. I thought we checked that. Will check again to be sure.

wolfwalkereci 08-05-2013 10:50 PM

It's been a problem on several servers for the last year or more.

lerxst2112 08-05-2013 11:09 PM

Seems like it should default to off.

trevius 08-06-2013 02:57 AM

I would probably put cash drops on all mobs and then make sure players all use /autosplit so that every time they loot a corpse, they do a Save() 6 times (one for each char in the group getting money from the split), which forces a DB write of the Player Profile blob. That would be pretty heavy when doing it for every corpse that gets looted. Not to mention that MakeLootRequestPackets() (which happens when you open a corpse) also does another Save() for the client that is looting.

Then, you got the inventory updates for the items being looted.

Also, if you get the group to have as many pets as possible, I think that may cause some extra DB hits due to the SavePetInfo() function being added in places it probably is not required (such as when purchasing items from a trader NPC).

If setting the Discovered Items rule to false fixes your loot lag issues for good, then I would be a bit surprised, as it is fairly small compared to some of the other hits that happen during looting. I do agree that it should be loaded into memory and handled that way for look-ups vs querying each item that gets looted though.