EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::General Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=586)
-   -   No I can't help you - LOST PASSWORDS (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31238)

KLS 05-05-2010 02:13 AM

No I can't help you - LOST PASSWORDS

I get a couple requests a week to help someone with a login password recovery.

I cannot help you. I don't know if Rogean can help you but if anyone can he can.

trevius 05-05-2010 07:09 PM

Yeah, I get the same thing about as often. Hopefully at some point, there will be a password recovery option for Login Server accounts. I am sure it would save everyone time and frustration.

I don't have access to Login Server account stuff at all and I don't have admin rights on these forums to change accounts/emails/passwords/activations/etc, so please don't PM me asking me to do so or I will just link you this thread.

KLS 05-06-2010 12:15 AM

Yeah, I'd really like to just stop wasting everyone's time. Now everyone knows who they need to bug (also bug him to implement password recovery!).

llllmvllll 05-06-2010 07:02 AM

Can you delete a account I have that I no longer use ?
If so how do I go about getting that done ?

MattWitt 05-07-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llllmvllll (Post 187564)
Can you delete a account I have that I no longer use ?
If so how do I go about getting that done ?

This, if we can't get PWs reset can we at least get the defunct accounts deleted so we can make new ones?

wolfwalkereci 05-20-2010 09:10 PM

about time someone posted this shit. I remember when I had lost my passwords and was posting asking if anyone could help or knew who to talk to.
Was completely fucking ignored then and it sucked.

Sorrow*qc 01-25-2011 10:00 PM

ok so i lost all of my characters if that happened to me???

KLS 01-26-2011 01:59 AM

You can try talking to Rogean or you can talk to the server operators where the characters are and see if they'll transfer them to new accounts for you.

Rogean 01-27-2011 10:13 PM

The reason we don't allow password recoveries is because it is a security issue.. thats why loginserver accounts are seperate from forums to begin with.

I'm open to ideas for how a password recovery tool will be handled, but I'm afraid any solution will be open for the possibility of accounts being compromised.

Akkadius 01-27-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogean (Post 196536)
The reason we don't allow password recoveries is because it is a security issue.. thats why loginserver accounts are seperate from forums to begin with.

I'm open to ideas for how a password recovery tool will be handled, but I'm afraid any solution will be open for the possibility of accounts being compromised.

I vouch for generic security questions upon setting up an account as well as the option to set them up as an existing account. Of course this wouldn't do anyone any good for those who have lost their account information now, but would start helping those in the future.

Rogean 01-27-2011 10:33 PM

Solutions that require additional information at user creation aren't going to work as it wouldn't be applicable to the other 135k login accounts. The majority of account recovery requests are those coming back after years.

trevius 01-28-2011 04:11 AM

If people can get into their forum accounts, then it should be possible to recover their LS information, which is the issue I see posted about here 99% of the time (can log into forum account, but not LS accounts).

My suggestion would be to setup a new field that stores registration email address from the forums also into a registration email address for the Login Server. The forum email address can be changed by logging into the forums, but the LS email address can't be changed (or at least not without logging in with an LS account password). Then, let them have an option to send a password recovery email to their LS email address, which should have to be owned by the correct person.

Unfortunately, that won't work for people who no longer have the same email address, but it should work in a good number of the cases. I can't really think of any other way to make password recovery retro-active and secure without doing a mass email that requires every member to set a security question (which just causes emails to get tagged as spam). A less secure option would be to just give forum accounts access to do a LS password recovery based on that they authenticated into the forums.

jlocke 01-30-2011 06:02 AM

It's kind or ridiculous to set up any security beyond accessing a forum account for login passwords. Wouldn't it be kind of easy just to copy the forum password field data into the login password field data in a SQL table upon requesting a "password reset"? I'm assuming they're both in the same type of encryption. Like the man said, if someone has access to their forum account (like me) they should be the owner. It's not like you're holding billions of EQLive Plat on a mule here nor any super secret squirrel stuff.

Huppy 01-30-2011 05:10 PM

I always just go through 5 minutes of tedious, trivial computer work to solve
this problem - Put your eqemu client account(s) info in a standard text file
and burn it on a 40 cent blank disc. Some might want to use a marker and
label the disc "Passwords I Forgot" :)

Rogean 01-30-2011 06:11 PM

The reason the loginserver accounts were kept seperate is because with forum software involved and when this entire system was set up, SQL Injections into forum software was a common occurance. In order to protect the game accounts, they were kept seperate for that reason, neither having any more power to reset the other.

We also have to consider the fact that theres still a compromised database from 2007 floating around somewhere. They haven't been able to do damage to loginserver accounts with that unless people were stupid enough to make their passwords the same. Opening up the option for forum accounts to reset loginserver accounts would be bad times for anyone who hasn't changed their forum password yet.

ckimbrel 02-09-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogean (Post 196595)
The reason the loginserver accounts were kept seperate is because with forum software involved and when this entire system was set up, SQL Injections into forum software was a common occurance. In order to protect the game accounts, they were kept seperate for that reason, neither having any more power to reset the other.

We also have to consider the fact that theres still a compromised database from 2007 floating around somewhere. They haven't been able to do damage to loginserver accounts with that unless people were stupid enough to make their passwords the same. Opening up the option for forum accounts to reset loginserver accounts would be bad times for anyone who hasn't changed their forum password yet.

Why keep this feature out because people refuse to change their password after 4 years? You could post a notice on here and get all the popular servers to do the same and if folks still don't do it it's up to them. It's incredibly frustrating for legit users to not have access to their accounts because there's no way to retrieve a forgotten password.

Why not just prompt users on login to set a secret question / answer and slowly migrate everyone over?

PetitScarabee 03-10-2011 08:03 AM

Why not allow LS password change only to forum accounts whose password has been changed after 2007 ? (providing this information is available).

Or, for people like me having one working LS account, could we just ask to copy the password from the working account to the not working ones ? This way passwords are still kept inside the login server.

Finally, if LS passwords just can't be retrieved at this time, even by PMing someone, the link in the user CP that seem to allow that should be changed to an information "REALLY just don't forget your LS passwords, because there is currently NO WAY to retreive them". I think it could save everyone some time. And with a good warning people will not assume the password can be retrieved easily with the forum account and make sure they keep it safe: sometimes I don't have my passwordsafe handy and trust the registered email address to allow me to recover my password if I forget it before I am able to store it.

I have personnally no interrest in getting back characters, I just want not to have two forum accounts while still having the option of two LS accounts. Still, if there is no other way I will just create another forum account. I just think it should be made clear, and most people would cease to bother the good guys allowing the login server to exist in the first place.

ckimbrel 03-18-2011 11:14 AM

It's ridiculous how this system is setup. I can't think of any community as popular as this without a password recovery feature. Really?

shimmerdark 03-26-2011 10:11 PM

Guess I'm not going to come back for Kunark then. This is something that is developed first if you expect the project to last more than a few months.

Secrets 03-27-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmerdark (Post 197900)
Guess I'm not going to come back for Kunark then. This is something that is developed first if you expect the project to last more than a few months.

EQEmulator has been around since 2003, I personally don't care if you are here or not, that's not the sole focus of this project.

There was a major security issue in 2006-2008ish timeframe which made us unable to make sure that all accounts were safe. You wanna find us a better idea? Brainstorm one and let us know.

PS: Project 1999 isn't EQEmulator. Don't whine at us about Kunark.

ChaosSlayerZ 03-27-2011 03:27 PM

P99 can also set up a private server login, can't they?

sorvani 03-27-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmerdark (Post 197900)

You do always have the option of actually being an intelligent human being and either remembering your account information, or if that is too much for you, then you could simply securely store your account information someplace. If that is still too much for you, you always have the option to simply write it down on a piece of paper and leave it laying out on your desk.

P.S. Don't care about P99 and Kunark.

drenth 04-18-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorvani (Post 197911)
You do always have the option of actually being an intelligent human being and either remembering your account information, or if that is too much for you, then you could simply securely store your account information someplace. If that is still too much for you, you always have the option to simply write it down on a piece of paper and leave it laying out on your desk.

P.S. Don't care about P99 and Kunark.

This is the most retarded reply I've ever seen.

End users forget passwords constantly. In a system with as many users as EQEmu, you'd think, MAYBE there'd be a way to recover passwords. There's not even a warning that login server passwords are unrecoverable if forgotten to ensure users understand their importance.

It's an extreme oversight with weak reasoning. Security reasons, really? Just looks like Rogean was too busy / lazy to bother.

sorvani 04-18-2011 04:31 PM

Happy to help. Glad you missed the point.

Would some type of reset mechanism be nice, yes. But the project has decided not to implement one and you not knowing that is not their problem.

Your password is your responsibility, do not whine and complain if you can not manage to handle something that basic.

Bamzal 04-20-2011 12:35 AM

Since 2003? bro look at my join date. Im oldschool and i never forget passwords =)

keithHen 05-01-2011 08:12 AM

I for one quit and forgotten my PW. I really wish they would implement a recovery and would donate to see this happen.

keithHen 05-01-2011 03:59 PM

Rogean are you working on a recovery tool? If your short on donations to see this happen just pm me bro.

devn00b 05-01-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secrets (Post 197902)
EQEmulator has been around since 2003, I personally don't care if you are here or not, that's not the sole focus of this project.

EQEMu started On Dec 6 2001. Image, Hogie, Pyrotek, Quagmire, and a couple others were the developers at the time, Tuxracer was running the website. I joined the team later that same year.

The original sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqemu/) still exists and lists the date as 12/4/01.

EQEmulator is just a rename of the same project when Hogie (I think) left the project with the domain.

Kruel 05-05-2011 04:43 PM

PLEASE allow password resets!!

Daerrin 06-24-2011 03:25 PM

I'm in a slightly different situation. I know my loginserver account name / pw, need to change the password of the LS account, but cannot because for some reason I either a) cannot find the forum account or b) the Heallun forum account is linked to an e-mail address that apparently isn't mine (I have one e-mail and it's linked to this one). If anyone's savvy enough to help figure that one out I'd be obliged ;P

Within99 09-10-2011 09:52 PM

response

Well i only quit for about 6 months or so, and I know it would seem ppl would want to hack or whatever, but you could just send a temp. new PW to our emails i mean.. only we could enter anyway, it be just like the forum PW recovery. Ive been asking for a week now for LS server recovery, I know a Week doesn't seem long, but its still a bum to know you have a good character floating out their when you wanna play and help your friends out who just got into it. I know theirs a way and we all trust our admins. I would love for this to be fixed within the week or a few days!!! I have a mage that i wanna PLAY!!! along with a few other characters.

blackmist03 10-24-2011 05:43 AM

useless account

so...there is no way to delete an account?

bluejam 12-28-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmist03 (Post 204291)
so...there is no way to delete an account?

Came here to ask this question. Please implement this. =*(

I have a sub-account from 2004 that was either compromised or I used a totally different password from my usual ones.

edit: I shouldn't have any characters on that account anyway because the only server I recall playing on 7 years do not exist anymore. Something with an "S" I think which was pwned by SoE due to "donations" or so (believe SoD is the successor) and a Velious only server that was reset every couple of weeks because of cheating faggots.
So since there's no public way to do this, the "safest" bet would be to PM Rogean on these boards and pray to the gods that he has time to check that andsee if he can make an exception? He could blindly delete that account cus if I ever had anything "important" on there, it's been long gone.

trevius 12-29-2011 06:34 AM

Just register a new account. It isn't that hard. The chance of Rogean deleting an old account he has no way to verify you are the owner on, for something that has 0 affect on you is literally 0%.

Even if a LS account was deleted and you created a new one, it would have a new Login Server ID (number), which would cause you to fail to connect to any server anyway as far as I know.

bluejam 12-29-2011 05:34 PM

Oh well, just kinda annoying to have a slot I can't use. Also a hassle to set up a new email just to create another Emu account. :P
Thanks for the swift reply tho.

apple120223 05-15-2012 02:32 PM

So I don't have a login server lost password, it's just the password to the actual eqemulator.org website. Can anyone help me at least get the email that I used for it?

PhantomRogue 05-16-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apple120223 (Post 209755)
So I don't have a login server lost password, it's just the password to the actual eqemulator.org website. Can anyone help me at least get the email that I used for it?

Nope. Far as I know, and have read, there is no way to get that account reset, other than finding Rogean and having him do it.

Would love to see in addition to the change LS Password, a forgot one, where you enter in the email used for the Forum account registration. Then fire off an email to that account (if it matches the original Registration one in the Site/Forum DB) with some random ID which would expire within 5 minutes.

Then they would go to 'change' LS Password, enter in that ID, the Sites Password and the new LS Password.

Gives you 2 steps of validation. 1 being knowing the email, and the other proving they still have access to that Email account. 2. they know the emu site's login information.

Now if you don't have access to that email account, then there is nothing that can be done. But it would pretty much solve 99% of the people who ask for LS resets (myself included).

I mean, in theory, if you assume the emu login isn't compromised, you can just add a captcha (free) to the 'forgot' screen, and have them enter the sites current password (instead of the current account password), and new one for the LS account.

apple120223 05-16-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomRogue (Post 209759)
Nope. Far as I know, and have read, there is no way to get that account reset, other than finding Rogean and having him do it.

Would love to see in addition to the change LS Password, a forgot one, where you enter in the email used for the Forum account registration. Then fire off an email to that account (if it matches the original Registration one in the Site/Forum DB) with some random ID which would expire within 5 minutes.

Then they would go to 'change' LS Password, enter in that ID, the Sites Password and the new LS Password.

Gives you 2 steps of validation. 1 being knowing the email, and the other proving they still have access to that Email account. 2. they know the emu site's login information.

Now if you don't have access to that email account, then there is nothing that can be done. But it would pretty much solve 99% of the people who ask for LS resets (myself included).

I mean, in theory, if you assume the emu login isn't compromised, you can just add a captcha (free) to the 'forgot' screen, and have them enter the sites current password (instead of the current account password), and new one for the LS account.

Yeah I've contacted Rogean but it seems more and more often he tends to only login to the site every fortnight. Heck, I've been asking for just the email i used on the account. If I remembered which email i used i could just reset the forum account password through the email. I noticed that one of the admins on page 1 I believe have given part of some guy's email addy. I figured he could do the same for me. I mean, I know all the login server info, but i think more and more that I may have accidentally reset the forum account PW along the way and never kept track of it

Nasaan 05-16-2012 02:25 PM

The problem I have, is 1 of my 3 slots on this forum account is to an account I have no F*ing idea what I set the password to. I've not been able to access it in over a year or more.. I really dont care what character I created on it. I'd rather just be able to delete the LS server account deleted so I can reuse the slot. :mad:

trevius 05-17-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasaan (Post 209762)
The problem I have, is 1 of my 3 slots on this forum account is to an account I have no F*ing idea what I set the password to. I've not been able to access it in over a year or more.. I really dont care what character I created on it. I'd rather just be able to delete the LS server account deleted so I can reuse the slot. :mad:

Just register another forum account and you will have 3 new LS account slots available :P