EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::News (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594)
-   -   Zone MMF Files (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40805)

DanCanDo 07-30-2016 04:15 AM

BINGO! I "think" I found the reason the mmf system is not working in linux. Something that is so obvious,
I was overlooking it until now (chuckle)
Code:

[07-30-2016 :: 01:53:21] [Zone Server] Failed to load Map MMF file: 'Maps/abysmal.mmf' - could not open file
If you notice, it's looking for Maps, instead of maps, linux being case sensitive.
EDIT: I forced the config to look for Maps and changed the folder name to Maps. The conversion is working in linux
now. :) BUT to get the full automated conversion, I had to change it in the script as well.

Uleat 07-30-2016 04:57 PM

I know that linux is case-sensitive..but, I used existing code as a reference.

I'm really surprised that linux doesn't complain about 'Maps' when running normally..since, it grabs the information from the same place.

I'll talk it over with some of the linux-based devs and see what the current standard is and see what we can do.

Thanks for verifying that!

DanCanDo 07-30-2016 05:58 PM

This was something I encountered before, when first setting up linux.
It does run normally as long as the config points to the same name as
the folder (whether upper or lower case), as long as they are both the
same.
I did notice, if someone downloads the full source from Git, if they use
the eqemu_config(full) file included in the utils/defaults folder, by default,
under directories it points to Maps, uppercase.

wirepuller134 07-31-2016 01:16 AM

We let it do the conversion on zones while zoning to see how it did. It worked well. Then we stopped the server and converted all of them. No errors. Zoning into the moors before was 1 min 6 seconds. now 16 seconds. We are running Windows 7 64, on a busy system. The main nic is connecting at 10 BaseT (this is a server that is going on 12 years old, so it's on our list to replace) so is a factor with the server streaming to our televisions as well. But I can say there was a noticeable improvement in zoning times. Thanks Uleat, this is going to be big step forward.

DanCanDo 07-31-2016 10:43 PM

Thats what I am getting now on linux server box is 16 seconds in to moors.
12 year old server ? I love it when people keep things like that up and running.
It must be one of those old "solid" boxes if your running the server, as well as
streaming to tv's (chuckle)

Uleat 08-03-2016 10:55 PM

In addition to this feature, another recent update associated with sending spawned entities to the client has help reduce client load times - in certain situations.

I have timing code in place to analyze this process and will continue to pursue effective changes that improve client load time performance.

Reviewing the process, however, most of the remaining hangups appear to be client related..or at least in the handling of certain packets from the client.

DanCanDo 08-04-2016 02:15 AM

Something I did notice with this one client/puter, sometimes when zoning, even in to
a simple place, like Nexus, It is a little slow drawing the models of npc's. I've always
been convinced it's totally a client side issue. I haven't dug in to that issue much at
all, been too busy focusing on the server.(chuckle)