EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Simple Client (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=667)
-   -   Simple Client Status (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23264)

krusher 07-26-2007 01:30 PM

Simple Client Status

Hey WC.

Could you post a quick reply as to the status of the SC. Just curious as to how its comming and what if any plans you have.

Thanks

Krusher

DarkGothic 07-26-2007 03:29 PM

Sorry been out for some time what is SimpleClient??:?

Angelox 07-26-2007 09:56 PM

SimpleClient is a free, open source Everquest client - it would replace your Titainium client or what ever you have now. I believe it would be "customizable" to fit the needs of any specific server.

Strake 07-27-2007 02:45 AM

Wow, that sounds nice. I've been looking for something like this, but so far all I've found is people modding MacroQuest and I'm pretty sure that's not allowed :-/

Is there a website or something with updates and such about this? Or is it all here?

-Dillon

ksmith08 07-27-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelox (Post 135812)
SimpleClient is a free, open source Everquest client - it would replace your Titainium client or what ever you have now. I believe it would be "customizable" to fit the needs of any specific server.

Might be better to say a free, open source EQEmu client. Who wants to make an Everquest client anyway. Unless the intent is to make another client to play Live. In that case, just ignore me.

Rogean 07-27-2007 02:59 AM

Krusher: Sent you a pm a couple weeks ago, didn't get a response. Re-sent it. Reply when ya can. Thanks!

Scorpious2k 07-27-2007 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksmith08 (Post 135822)
open source EQEmu client. Who wants to make an Everquest client anyway. Unless the intent is to make another client to play Live. In that case, just ignore me.

Almost right - except it won't be open source.

It will only work with custom zones (no sony zones)

John Adams 07-27-2007 11:39 AM

Scorpious, do you know if it'll (ever) be possible to "convert" SOE zones for those who still wish to have that old familiar world? Mostly just talking landscapes and such. Server admins might still yearn for EQ-ish gaming, without the hassles of legality.

mattmeck 07-27-2007 01:23 PM

No, it needs to be 100% independent, or it will risk legal action.

Wind is creating it to get 100% away from SOE.

GeorgeS 07-27-2007 01:30 PM

I believe custom zones are preferable and are not all that hard to make in OZ. I think after I give SC a go, I will get a better idea of what's going on.

GeorgeS

Scorpious2k 07-28-2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Adams (Post 135874)
Scorpious, do you know if it'll (ever) be possible to "convert" SOE zones for those who still wish to have that old familiar world? Mostly just talking landscapes and such. Server admins might still yearn for EQ-ish gaming, without the hassles of legality.

As GeorgeS said, they will have to be custom.

The idea is to remove everything Sony from the game. I admit I actually *could* convert sony zones, it would be a lot of work and I think in a way you can create the feel of the game without copying the zones.

I also have found on our server there is always excitement when a new "world" (group of related zones) opens up. This isn't a copy of places they have been before. It's all NEW! That means exploring. That means really facing the unknown. No internet cheat sites, no ready made maps.

I think it is preferable from a player point of view to have all new, custom zones. You can keep the feel of EQ or create your own.

I would like to add that I have offered all 20 (going on 21) of the custom zones we have including the Windcatcher zones which I modified. We have a good start on this already.

John Adams 07-28-2007 03:48 AM

I definitely agree, custom = new and exciting. I also understand completely that offering SOE-like content (even if manually generated zones and content in every way) might be digging back into the SOE danger zone. I was only asking if it was even possible (privately aside from this project) to do just that - convert existing topologies so an admin CAN run a Norrathian world that is familiar, though textured differently, with the same in-game goals so many have come to love.

I grasp the concept of getting away from SOE, and I think most understand this is not a client to replace the EQ clients so you can play "Everquest". I'm only asking about possibilities far down the road. I'd love to supply a SimpleClient to my players who can still enjoy the EQ they love. But I won't hold my breath, unless I plan on becoming intimate with OpenZone and 3D modeling, heh. Or perhaps, I do not fully understand the breadth of this project?

GeorgeS 07-28-2007 04:14 AM

Since custom zones means no body has an advantage on loot drops, npc stats and locations and strategies - We all start over again as level 1 and hopefully relive the old eq of old.

GeorgeS

Scorpious2k 07-28-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Adams (Post 135930)
But I won't hold my breath, unless I plan on becoming intimate with OpenZone and 3D modeling, heh. Or perhaps, I do not fully understand the breadth of this project?

It's possible you don't.

The goal is to replace everything. A handful of people can have it at the same level as EQ when it was beta in just a couple of months,

Ueguvil 07-28-2007 09:05 AM

Excuse my ignorance about this project, but what will remain the same? What I mean by this is if you replace everything how can you call it an Everquest client as opposed to a completely new game?