EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::General Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=586)
-   -   Question to coders - how to fool the Client? (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43483)

ChaosSlayerZ 12-03-2021 11:27 PM

Question to coders - how to fool the Client?

Greetings!

I know we have some great coders here across emu, on dev team and on various servers. So perhaps you guys can answer my question at least in theory.

One thing that always bugged me is how WIS and INT are seem to be hard coded as mana source for specific classes. So as caster you get your mana from INT and WIS is useless. The opposite goes for priests.

I want to change this system where both INT and WIS equally important. I haven't yet determine how that gonna work, but let say that INT gives all classes mana, where WIS increases spell power (or something else).
Now coding this server side - is 100% doable. But the CLIENT? As far as I understand Client calculates its own mana and hp, and there is no way to telling the Client - mana no longer comes from WIS for a priest or paladin.
Or is there?
So I am looking for work around, if you know any, please share your thoughts ;)

Thanks!

Splose 12-04-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ (Post 267463)
Greetings!

I know we have some great coders here across emu, on dev team and on various servers. So perhaps you guys can answer my question at least in theory.

One thing that always bugged me is how WIS and INT are seem to be hard coded as mana source for specific classes. So as caster you get your mana from INT and WIS is useless. The opposite goes for priests.

I want to change this system where both INT and WIS equally important. I haven't yet determine how that gonna work, but let say that INT gives all classes mana, where WIS increases spell power (or something else).
Now coding this server side - is 100% doable. But the CLIENT? As far as I understand Client calculates its own mana and hp, and there is no way to telling the Client - mana no longer comes from WIS for a priest or paladin.
Or is there?
So I am looking for work around, if you know any, please share your thoughts ;)

Thanks!

I don't think you're going to be able to achieve this without hacking the client, honestly. Pretty much like you said you can of course do it all serverside but then the client is gonna fight with the server and your mana is gonna constantly go up and down.

ChaosSlayerZ 12-04-2021 07:32 PM

Yeah I am trying to avoid Client hacking at all if possible - too many.... issues =)

BUT long time ago someone suggested that we can use something like Tribute to send a Client update. So server will calculate old mana, new mana and then create fake Tribute effect for the difference and send that to the client. But this will require some knowledge beyond my capabilities.

Maze_EQ 12-06-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ (Post 267469)
Yeah I am trying to avoid Client hacking at all if possible - too many.... issues =)

BUT long time ago someone suggested that we can use something like Tribute to send a Client update. So server will calculate old mana, new mana and then create fake Tribute effect for the difference and send that to the client. But this will require some knowledge beyond my capabilities.

This is still a client hack/mod.

Talk to Secrets

ChaosSlayerZ 12-08-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maze_EQ (Post 267472)
This is still a client hack/mod.

Talk to Secrets

Thanks, Maze. I do believe it was Secrets who suggested it a while back.