EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Support::Windows Servers (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=587)
-   -   Building my new server (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42316)

danxxx 02-03-2019 03:01 PM

Building my new server

So I'm building my new server today and was curious about the hardware requirements. I know it can be run on a very basic system, however I'm building a pretty good 8 core system. My question is about hard drive use/space.

I'm sure I don't need a SSD, but I have several sata drives to choose from. I have some 7200rpm drives, but with limited space, 160gb or so. I also have some larger, 1tb drives, but they are 5400rpm. Does the speed make much of a difference and how much space will a server take up?

nilbog 02-03-2019 04:25 PM

Personally, I would use the fastest drive available for db interactions. Drive space shouldn't take much; image it and be prepared to expand based on need.

danxxx 02-03-2019 04:46 PM

If the server ends up becoming popular enough I'll swap it out for an ssd.

I doubt it will be too popular. It will be basically sticking to a vanilla eq, with an option for a bot, maybe 2. Custom epics and epic quests, teleporters, auto scribe spells and skills on level, increased xp, increased item stats, increased spell power, custom end game zones.

No progression or flagging, no being forced into a specific zones, no tier items, no buff bot.

It seems these days that most servers tell you where to go at your level, what to kill, what specific items you need, etc. All the freedom and choices have been taken away. I want people to be able to go where they want and use items they want, not the same as everyone else.

But I'll get more into details of it when I finish setting up the server and start making the modifications.

Nightrider84 02-03-2019 10:40 PM

Honestly, I run my server on a single core 1.6ghz with 3gb of ram and an old 5400rpm HDD. And honest it runs fine even with alot of accounts logged in at once. You can get a 120gb ssd for literally 20 dollars online. I'd invest in the ssd. As far as storage goes 120 would be plenty.

danxxx 02-03-2019 11:17 PM

Right now it's setup on an 8 core 4000mhz system with 16 gigs of ram and a 1 gig internet connection. I used a 7200rpm drive but will swap that out for an ssd later on, just don't have an extra at the moment.

I installed on a fresh install of windows 10 and everything installed with no problem. Haven't actually logged in to test it yet though.

Nightrider84 02-04-2019 01:55 AM

Yeah that's going to run it perfectly fine with no issues. I have mine setup to run 50 zones at a time and it doesn't even hiccup

danxxx 02-04-2019 09:37 AM

It shouldn't take me too long to get the basics customized and the server up and running. I have a lot of experience with mysql and ran a server several years ago. Some of the end game content is what will take the most time. But like I said, I don't expect a lot of people to play on the server as it's not going to be a progression server with a tier system like most of the popular servers are now. I want people to have total freedom to go where they want, kill what they want and use whatever items they want. No fotm of super unbalanced classes.

And no need to box full groups.

Nightrider84 02-04-2019 10:58 AM

Well hope your proficient in perl and lua, A majority of your custom quests and everything revolve around that not just mysql. Just as an FYI.

danxxx 02-04-2019 02:20 PM

I am, however I don't plan to add too much in the way of custom quests or stray too far from the original. Just want people to be able to have more powerful items, easier leveling, and more freedom.

danxxx 02-09-2019 12:22 PM

I have the server up and running, not public. It's working well so far. Still have a list of things to finish. Once I finish the rest on my list I'll open it up for people to help test and find bugs. Hopefully I will be able to get most of it finished this weekend.

I'm basically making a server that I want to play on, then going to open it up for others if they want to play on the type of server I do. I want the old school feel without the tedious parts of the original. So basically just a lot of QOL stuff with increased power, experience, and bots because I hate to box.

danxxx 02-09-2019 11:47 PM

Not run into any major issues yet except I can't get the damn thing to auto scribe and auto train when a player levels. I know it's probably something simple I'm missing so I'll give it a break for tonight and try again tomorrow.