EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::Server Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   Beta Release in August (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41843)

GRUMPY 04-12-2018 08:59 PM

Beta Release in August

https://image.ibb.co/h0qJwn/beta_teaser_promo.png

Abromikus : Land of Adventure
Even though it's still a few months away, this is just a teaser promo
to "put the bug in people's ear" :)
I'm really liking the way this project is going. I started on it last
year, but it's been slow going. Now that I see the results more and
more, I'm getting excited, haha

It's a different kind of solo progression, with it's own unique style
to it that will keep a casual player going for several weeks. But I've
also incorporated the suspense of not seeing the "end game"
anywhere in sight.
The progression is not built around simple experience and leveling,
as you will not be killing mobs for some of the common reasons you
may be used to.
Patience, diligence and fortitude will be your best assets, while you
struggle to move forward.
Some people may not have time for a game like this, while a few will
become frustrated and give up. But for those who love to indulge in
a new challenge, can expect suprises.

Maze_EQ 04-13-2018 10:20 AM

LEGOOOOOOooooooooooo

mjbcb0717 04-13-2018 12:25 PM

I'm wet right now

GRUMPY 04-13-2018 12:35 PM

By the way (Maze), this particular kind of progression is not something I've ever encountered before.
There is no expansions to unlock. Most of the quests/zonename scripts have been removed to make
room for custom scripts tailored for the server. The need for competitiveness between classes has
been extinquished. It's more solo than one would imagine, with an option for a second box (max),
(it's not needed), but not even MQ will help or give anyone an advantage in their progression.
All the mobs, (hp's, stats, etc) from start to end have been redone to reflect on this kind of server.
Progression is setup with "no turning back" points. Once you reach certain points of your journey,
you will not be able to return to places you've already been. Transportation is fully customized.

GRUMPY 04-14-2018 12:29 PM

Even though the journey involves classic zones (and up), the whole concept of "era"
is not part of the game. It all starts in Antonica and progresses through "continents",
one at a time, but has nothing to do with classic progression. Entering the geography
of zones in Odus or other continents are strictly there as progression into another chunk
of land only, as access has been earned along the way. Every zone is specific to one or
two levels and every mob in every zone is tailored to that current level. Familiar mobs
will be there, (in a different way), but you will find custom NPC's, custom loot and items,
custom quest NPC's along the way, that give opportunies for a better piece of gear, as
you progress through 90 levels across the continents with random rewards along the
way. There is no need for mercs or bots. Every class has the same soloing opportunity.

ChaosSlayerZ 04-14-2018 06:53 PM

Sounds a lot like Baldurgs Gate's adventure - even though you could travel back and forth there, there were some restriction when you could not return.

Can players play together/communicate?

PS. Dang I miss Baldurgs Gate's. Even though I hated DnD combat system, I liked the story and wondering around leveling up.

GRUMPY 04-14-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ (Post 258284)
Can players play together/communicate?

Of course they can. The box limit is 2, only to give that option for a possible second
house member. If someone is actually boxing two toons, it might make things go a little
bit quicker, but the whole progression is setup with less focus on typical "get leveled
to max real fast" and more fun on the challenge of progressing. There won't be anything
in place that will allow a player to randomly choose a variety of zones to get experience
from. It's not that kind of server. But getting leveled will happen naturally while one
is progressing without ever having to worry about it, so a player can focus on everything
else involved with the progression. There will be (custom) faction to build for each toon.

EDIT: By the way, just noticed, one can still buy Baldurgs Gate's on Steam for 20 bucks, haha

GRUMPY 04-17-2018 12:11 AM

I'm making it compatible for UF - Rof2 clients. It's not worth it to support all clients,
since it's not an "era specific" server anyways, but some of the content won't be
accessible with an older client, (like Titanium). No sense in even going there.

Dogmai9 04-18-2018 01:55 PM

I am interested in learning more about this server. I would also like to volunteer my time to alpha test this project and provide feedback, if you need the help.

GRUMPY 04-18-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogmai9 (Post 258331)
I am interested in learning more about this server. I would also like to volunteer my time to alpha test this project and provide feedback, if you need the help.

I appreciate your offer, but all the alpha testing is being done as the development
progresses, with the help of a friend, in which the two of us will do a complete
alpha test before the beta release in August, (middle'ish).
A lot of game play info that clients need will be made available on a website, a few
weeks prior to release, which will give them a chance to read all about it.
There will be custom progression maps layed out on the website that players will
want to reference from time to time.
It's a very different and unique type of solo progression server that just may prompt
players to "expect the unexpected".
I apologize, but my desire for discretion has nothing to do with "dev secrets", it's all
about wanting to throw in some in-game suspense for the players.
I have already long anticipated that this kind of server won't be for everyone. Once
all the details are released, I am 99 percent confident of "mixed reviews".
But to be perfectly honest, it's something that will either walk, run, fly or crash. We
won't know anything, until it happens.
In latter part of July, website, forums and discord will be made available.

Dogmai9 04-20-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUMPY (Post 258333)
I appreciate your offer, but all the alpha testing is being done as the development
progresses, with the help of a friend, in which the two of us will do a complete
alpha test before the beta release in August, (middle'ish).
A lot of game play info that clients need will be made available on a website, a few
weeks prior to release, which will give them a chance to read all about it.
There will be custom progression maps layed out on the website that players will
want to reference from time to time.
It's a very different and unique type of solo progression server that just may prompt
players to "expect the unexpected".
I apologize, but my desire for discretion has nothing to do with "dev secrets", it's all
about wanting to throw in some in-game suspense for the players.
I have already long anticipated that this kind of server won't be for everyone. Once
all the details are released, I am 99 percent confident of "mixed reviews".
But to be perfectly honest, it's something that will either walk, run, fly or crash. We
won't know anything, until it happens.
In latter part of July, website, forums and discord will be made available.

No worries dude, not offended. I'll keep an eye on the project and wish you well.

GRUMPY 04-20-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogmai9 (Post 258352)
No worries dude, not offended. I'll keep an eye on the project and wish you well.

Thank you.
When it comes to "player feedback", suggestions, etc., the beta release will welcome
"some" input, but it won't be looking for the common "auto-toon", quality of life input.
Because of the way the server is setup for it's game mechanics, some sterotypical
functions are customized, such as how the players aquire spells, skillups and even how
they get around, as well as how they level and progress in the game.
Some servers, they do an initial "alpha release", which many times can/will involve
an eventual character wipe. I don't want to put the server in that postion. I am treating
the beta release as the time to gather input, interest and feedback for the server
and, whatever changes/edits need to be made will be done with as little interruption
as possible.

GRUMPY 05-15-2018 11:35 PM

Just as a "clarifying" assurance, Abromikus server development is still on track, despite
the work being done on Project Omens. The two projects are "polar opposites", but
both share the same loving attention. :P