EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   Development::Feature Requests (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=612)
-   -   Levitation Bounce (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26746)

Annihilator 11-11-2008 12:20 PM

Levitation Bounce

When Secrets of Faydwer went live, SoE removed the bounce effect when you have a levitation type spell on you. Would it be possible to introduce this to the Emu or is it a client thing?

Derision 11-11-2008 12:32 PM

If you have the ability to edit and compile the source code, changing file spells.cpp line 985 from:

Code:

SendAppearancePacket(AT_Levitate, 2, true, true);
to

Code:

SendAppearancePacket(AT_Levitate, 1, true, true);
should do the trick. 2 means bounce, 1 means don't bounce :)

Annihilator 11-11-2008 01:31 PM

That sounds simple enough. I haven't even attempted to do any source modifications yet. I'm still learning perl scripting and cosmetic type things. Could it be added as a rule for easier modification for the novice?

MNWatchdog 11-12-2008 01:26 AM

Add a rule!

AndMetal 11-12-2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annihilator (Post 159828)
Could it be added as a rule for easier modification for the novice?

I would think this would be an easy way to do it:

Code:

SendAppearancePacket(AT_Levitate, RuleB(Character, LevitationBounce) ? 2 : 1, true, true);
Then just define a boolean rule in the rules system with a default value of true.

MNWatchdog 11-12-2008 01:36 AM

Was just thinking, wouldnt turning off the bounce also reduce the clients sending of location updates since while bouncing, the Z axis is constantly changing?

Its probably the reason Sony changed this beyond the fact that it tends to lag everyone while raiding for those raids where DMF/levitate is needed.

steve 11-12-2008 04:14 AM

Does the Z axis actually change when bobbing though? I was always under the impression the bobbing was merely just an 'appearance' thing.

KLS 11-12-2008 04:33 AM

The bobbing is probably just appearance, since everyone bobs at the same rate the client can just set the appearance of a foreign entity to bob and it should match up pretty well. I would be pretty silly if they actually were sending more updates than usual for that, not that I would put it past Sony.

MNWatchdog 11-12-2008 07:17 AM

Inquiring minds wanna know.

AndMetal 11-12-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNWatchdog (Post 159877)
Inquiring minds wanna know.

Answer: lev spells do send Z position updates, which creates a hopping effect if you weren't in the zone when the spell was cast on them.

It doesn't look like we have anything currently send in the spawn packet that tells other clients that it's levitating, other than maybe flymode, so that might be something we need to look into as far as a visual issue.

Derision 11-12-2008 09:01 AM

Setting the flymode to 1 or 2 in the spawn struct has the same effect as #flymode 1 or 2.

#flymode 1 is not actually levitate without the bounce, as with flymode 1, you can gain height by just looking upwards and moving forwards, which you can't do with levitate.