EQEmulator Forums

EQEmulator Forums (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/index.php)
-   General::Server Discussion (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   What happened to Storm Haven server? (https://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38879)

davidjacobs 10-12-2014 11:24 PM

What happened to Storm Haven server?

Any ideas on what's going on? I signed on to the server at about 8:30pm CST and started getting lag spikes in and off, etc. By around 10pm the server disconnected completely. After 30 minutes, still not back up. Anyone know what happened? Primary server crash or something? (Im not too savvy about server hosting, sorry!)

Akkadius 10-12-2014 11:27 PM

The Storm Haven server has become compromised as part of a botnet.

I host it, but I don't manage it.

Trevius will need to address it when he is awake in the morning.

I've shutdown the machine and null routed the IP address in the meantime.

Storm Haven should be safe. It is just down for now.

It was part of an attack towards Cloudflare datacenters.

That is the straight skinny.

davidjacobs 10-12-2014 11:27 PM

To add to this - the Storm Haven website is also unavailable. If this is an issue about server/website hosting, I will be more than willing to contribute time and $ to keep the server/host up at all times and allow for maybe a back up host in case something goes awry.

Kayen 10-12-2014 11:28 PM

We are having a significant technical issue at the moment.

Expect it to be down until the morning at least.

Thank you for the generous offer Davidjacobs, we are already hosted in what is nearly 100% stable server this is really a very rare occurrence and it will be resolved one way or another.

I will update this thread when I have more information.

Kayen
GM Storm Haven

davidjacobs 10-12-2014 11:34 PM

Thanks for the response guys, that sucks. I play mostly at night, but I understand. Hopefully the situation will be fixed tomorrow! I'm not sure how botnet stuff works, but I know they can be a big problem for any computer/server. Just BTW, if it's even possible, give us a server wide message before shutting it down, LOL. I had no idea what was going on! Thanks for everything you do!

Drakiyth 10-13-2014 12:06 AM

Trevius and his team are great people. I wish you guys the best and for a fast recovery.

provocating 10-13-2014 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkadius (Post 234622)
The Storm Haven server has become compromised as part of a botnet.

I host it, but I don't manage it.

Trevius will need to address it when he is awake in the morning.

I've shutdown the machine and null routed the IP address in the meantime.

Storm Haven should be safe. It is just down for now.

That is the straight skinny.

What operating system was Trevius running?

Akkadius 10-13-2014 12:20 AM

It was a Linux flavor, I think Fedora. I can't remember. I have had it running for 3+ years now.

Someone exploited a vulnerability, that is as much as it takes. I've had it happen to one of my machines before, don't get too comfy it can happen to anyone.

provocating 10-13-2014 12:29 AM

Well if you guys find the problem, let me know so I can also address it on my server.

wolfwalkereci 10-13-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkadius (Post 234622)

Thought it was just a joke when I heard certain groups were targeting cloudflare. One batch of idiots are mad at a game bot program someone wrote and uses cloudflare to host it.

Anyways on topic, hope Trev & Kayen get everything sorted out.

trevius 10-13-2014 07:51 AM

I don't suspect it will be too hard to restore the server. I may need to take the opportunity to make some changes that should hopefully reduce risks like this in the future. Once I get access back to the server, I can investigate and hopefully resolve the issue quickly. Tempted to rebuild the server with the latest updates to all systems it runs. There are quite a few fairly recent security issues that can be exploited for DDOS attacks and such, but the majority of them get resolved quickly by patches.

vsab 10-13-2014 09:52 AM

nvm, misread >.<

davidjacobs 10-13-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevius (Post 234632)
I don't suspect it will be too hard to restore the server. I may need to take the opportunity to make some changes that should hopefully reduce risks like this in the future. Once I get access back to the server, I can investigate and hopefully resolve the issue quickly. Tempted to rebuild the server with the latest updates to all systems it runs. There are quite a few fairly recent security issues that can be exploited for DDOS attacks and such, but the majority of them get resolved quickly by patches.

Any ETA on when we might see it back up? I know there's not like, hundreds of players waiting. But it is my preferred server! Thanks guys!

trevius 10-13-2014 09:31 PM

I am building a new server now and once it is up and running, I will copy everything over to it. Hopefully it will be back up and running tonight, but if not, it should be by tomorrow. I will get the server up first, then work on the forums and such.

davidjacobs 10-13-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevius (Post 234664)
I am building a new server now and once it is up and running, I will copy everything over to it. Hopefully it will be back up and running tonight, but if not, it should be by tomorrow. I will get the server up first, then work on the forums and such.

Thanks Trev! Looking forward to seeing it back up!