Thread: Newbie armor
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Theeper
Discordant

Quote:
Well im not sure what kind of perl youve been writing but 1 you dont use multiple if statements it eats processing time and interpretation time firslty secondly ive been writing perl for well over 13 years now and have written several major chat systems in perl there is NOTHING wrong with using && or || Infact THOSE are the standard of the industry. simply because you prefer a ceratin style of coding does NOT mean they are the accepted standard infact in this case you are plain wrong
I assume you are referring to Ciscyou's post.

I will say that you are the one who is wrong Coleshadowblades. He never said it was the accepted standard. In fact, he just said it's the way he does it.

There are times when you MUST use multiple nested 'if' statements. Some logic dictates it and there is no way to duplicate it by stringing the conditionals together. Anyone with any coding experience will know this.

Also, the overhead difference in stringing conditionals versus nesting them is insignificant in this scope. AFAIK, the only real overhead is simply because there are more lines to parse.

You make chat programs in PERL ? ... huh? ... wtf ... why?

Lastly, I can't stand people who point out other's mistakes when they have no sense of spelling, punctuation or grammar. Of course, that's just my opinion.