View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Who said you don't do a thing. If you have answered a question, made a donation, or ever just logged on to say high, that all still counts, or in my book it does.

The only closed source thing on this project is the loginserver. Everything else can be ripped apart and made however you want it. Although it may not work worth a damn once you do, you still have the option to do so. How many parts are there to the project.

- World Server - Open
- Zone Server - Open
- Database - Open
- Mini Login - Open
- Public Login - Closed
- Website - Closed
- Forums - Closed

The bottom two are like that for obvious reasons, as you just cant waltz in to Google and want to change the Front Page logo to Girggle right.

I can understand haveing someone host it in the name of saving money, donations, time ect.... but there are just too many varibles to having someone do this. Way to many for me anyhow. It would be great and all, but look where we are now. Krusher donated his time to giving us hosting, and now all of a sudden, we're are losing that hosting. It was great to only come up with the money to pay the DNS fee, but what's a name without good sound hosting solution behind it. Finding a dedicated solution from a named business alllows some peace of mind as they, 99% of the time, will not be going anywhere so long as they are making $$$.

I could host it all on my computer here at home, but what if I get plowed over by a rampaging group of angry cattle while in the middle of broad daylight. Its far fetched, but something as sane as that could cause issues. Where would I be when that happens and the server goes down. Not where I need to be.

Now imagine that you work for ahhh lets say 1 & 1. You get run over by Bessie, but there are 100 other people to make sure that the server continues if the power goes out and it needs a reboot.

Kinda see where I am going.....?

Last edited by techguy84; 05-17-2007 at 10:37 PM..