View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 04:08 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanonCow
The closed-source login server isn't a http website. It is a network application.

So you can't just buy a forum and website hosting provider.
i think what Elbigmac is getting at is that if push came to shove, "we" (being the community) could do this without high end hosting, if we were willing to "rough it" so to speak. meaning (and i admit i'm paraphrasing/assuming here) we could find a dirt cheap hosting for website/forums, and someone or two trustworthy could host irc and/or login server. its not optimal but in the end, it gets the job done and sometimes it can be good to "go back to your roots".

i was one of the peeps who offered a pipe and some hardware in addition to donating, but TBH, i didnt get miffed when i didnt get a response. i'm a security nut (i host my own email because i dont trust others with handling it) so i appreciate the issues involved with letting someone host this project. its nothing personal, they just need to be sure because its a decision that affects the community as a whole and not just "them".

i will say i do agree with some people's mention that "a little more info" would be conducive. a decent group of us donated, we'd like to know what's going on, even if its just "we're talking to some providers, and our plan involves possibilities Y,Z, and W." if for nothing more, at least it lets us know the money is well spent, because in the end, just as most of us are strangers to the core group, they are strangers to us, and a donation is a leap of trust to an extent. /shrug.

== sfisque