View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 AM
trevius
Developer

Wow... That is an interesting setup lol. Maybe you have certain reasons for doing it that way, so I won't confuse you by telling you how I would set it up. But I will say that your wireless network should NOT effect your internal LAN wireless connections. Since they are all on your LAN, there is no firewall that restricts internal connections. Unless you have a really weird wireless router/modem. There is no reason to have it setup the way you do, even for games or anything you do on your LAN.

The next question I have is; what do you use to connect your PCs on the wired lan? It sounds like you are just using a hub or hardware switch. If you were using a router, it should automatically assign an IP to all of your PCs. (I stopped in the middle of writing this reply, so I hadn't seen your post about running the harware switch yet, that was just a guess of mine)

Have you confirmed that all of your PCs can connect to each other on your wired LAN the way you have it setup? Can you share files and play LAN games that are hosted internally?

One thing you might want to do is set your wired NICs to have a static IP address, because obviously they are just making one up with the 169 address. You could configure EQ to run the mini login over a 169 address scheme, but since the IPs could be different each time you setup your wired LAN, it would mean you would have to reconfigure the mini login each time. I would recommend setting the wired LAN to static IPs like 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101 etc, so that that they each have their own different IP assigned to them. You can do this by right clicking on your LAN connection (where you normally disable it) and selecting "Properties". Then double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Then select the radial (dot) for "Use the following IP address:" and type the IP address you want in the IP address box. If you hit tab, the subnet mask should be auto-populated with 255.255.255.0. Then I think you need to set the default gateway to the same IP address that you set in the IP address window, but it has been a long time since I setup a PC lan using only a hub. You may not need to mess with this configuration, but it should make your network easier to manage, and it should be easier for getting the mini login to work properly.

I haven't run the mini login for a while, but I believe you need to configure your eqhost.txt file in the everquest directory of every PC on your LAN that you want to allow to connect to the server to have the IP address of the server PC in it. Then, as long as you have created a login account for them, I think it should work.