View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 01:43 AM
trevius
Developer

Ya, they would still be loaded into shared memory the same as they are now.

Even if the table wasn't actually used to load spells from when the server starts, it still could be a very useful table to have to spell editing. You would know every field and could quickly and easily sort by them to find all spells that use that particular field or certain effect. I think it would make finding spells for custom encounters a bit easier.

Another possible bonus to using a Table would be that it would be possible to include with the PEQ DB (though I doubt Cavedude would allow it). If it was included, it would be one less step to do when setting up a server (even though it is one of the easiest steps). And more importantly, it could be updated to correct or remove certain broken spells with the default Titanium Spell file. Not only that, but it could potentially be customized to add support for higher level spells as well as every spell from live past the point of titanium (around spell ID 8400). That wouldn't be too bad IMO. Sure, an edited spell file could be distributed with it, but an edited table is a little less iffy if you know what I mean. This possible bonus is pretty unlikely to happen, but it is something to maybe consider.

I think the main use for the table would be for web-based tools like PEQ Editor and others. With a full spell table like this, it would open up alot of options for web-tools. You could have them search for spells with certain criteria, or even go as far as editing the spells directly from the web-tool. AndMetal has a good point about multiple tools using variations of spell tables. I think his idea would be a good solution to take away the need to build extra spell tables for new tools.

I don't think it would hurt in any way for him to add this as an option to the source. Where you would need to change source before compiling by defining the spell table or something. It never hurts to have more options. If it started getting popular, maybe more positive uses for it would pop up.