View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Neiv
Hill Giant

Quote:
I had an entire battle sequence in Lake of Ill Omen (Sarnak Castle) that simulated Helms Deep.. hahah
No sure how I missed this when it was posted in December. I have this same battle scene, but in a custom zone with a replica of the Hornburg. It's triggered by a ring turn-in quest. The server starting zone is Lond Daer, and includes Edenwaith, Cardolan, Eryn Vorn (the Black Woods), The Ruins of Tharbad, the Gap of Rohan, Westemnet, Eastemnet, the Westfold (Helm's Deep), Eastfold, the Folde (Edoras, complete with a replica of the Golden Hall), the Wold (where Eomer and the Rohirrim are in exile), the Field of Celebrant, Fangorn Forest, the Dimholt Road, Paths of the Dead, Sarn Gebir, and Emyn Muil. The zones are connected and blocked off from other zones. Currently fixing armor quests and other unique features of the server. It's slow going, and not quite ready for public consumption. Some major themes include:

A quest for the Ring of Power. Once a faction gets it and turns it into their king, all players of that faction receive a global perma buff (no other buffs are enabled on the server), until the Ring is taken by another faction.

The ring makes the bearer pvp and can be killed and looted by players, and there are wraiths that spawn in the zones the bearer enters, who then pursue the ring bearer. If they catch him and kill him, Sauron spawns and takes the Ring (the faction of Mordor then gets the global buff).

Gollum travels from zone to zone and doles out shards of materials that can be combined to create a "lesser ring of power" (sort of an epic quest for players).

Healers (not clerics) heal with Athelas plants, not spells. Only melee classes are allowed on the server.

The Helm's Deep battle spawns Urukhai who descend upon Helm's Deep to take the Ring from Theoden. Men of the West factions can join forces to defend Helm's Deep, and opposing factions can joint he Urukhai to try to take the Ring.

Those are just a few of the features. It's been a fun project. I'll likely open it up some day once I'm satisfied with the way it works.