View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
trevius
Developer

I didn't mean to upset you with my post. I was kinda afraid that might happen though. It isn't that people are talking about you behind your back or anything. I just speak with a few other admins that normally don't voice themselves on these forums too often.

You are right that I should try it before I complain about it My main concern was that more changes may be on the way and it sounds like that is the case. I can handle redoing content where needed once, but not multiple times if more changes will be going through. If possible, it would be nice to have just 1 big change to deal with that will hopefully be finalized for a year or so. That is another reason I think a #define would be nice. Cause it would let the new code get in and be usable, but would also give an option to let admins hold off until it has been fully tested and has been finalized for a while. Maybe just leaving a define in for a month after the last change is done to make sure there isn't anything else that needs to get changed right after. Once things are definitely final, it would be a good idea to just remove the define(s) and make it the new standard. I don't have a problem with doing it that way at all if that is ok with you.

Hopefully by making the define set to use the new system as the default, enough servers will try the new system to fully test it before it is finalized. There really aren't a ton of servers that use the source to even have the option to change the define anyway, so most Windows servers will be testing it if they update.

I don't mean to be complaining about this and I know your changes are good for the emulator, so I am sorry about having to even bring this up. I just figured a #define would make a nice temporary solution for this while the new combat changes are being finalized. Though, I admit that alot of the reasoning for me posting about it is just because it would be a fairly big inconvenience for me right now lol.

I just don't have the hours it would take to parse current fights and compare them with post-hitchance change fights. Hopefully by the time your changes are all finalized and have been proven for a month, SoF will be mostly done and I won't be having to update my server daily, and I will have more time to work on rebalancing content where needed. When I put these changes on Storm Haven, I would like to use the new hitchance values so players and NPCs hit more often. That will mean adjusting mob HPs/AC and probably min/max hit and attack and accuracy ratings at least.

We know you aren't a big mean ogre! More like a nice quite little woodelf