View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
OrisonSeven
Sarnak

Openzone could work for you, but i dont think this is what you a re looking for unless you wish to export, manipulate, and then reimport the entire zone into the game. So, it IS possible to use openzone for a such a task, but it would only be part of the process.

Basically you would need to:
1. Export the zone from eq to 3ds Max.
-To do this you need a max script, 3ds Max, and zone converter which are explained within another thread on the forum, easy to search for it.
2. Once the zone is in 3ds Max you could either export it to a .3ds file to import to openzone,
or,
Use 3ds Max to modify the sphere so that it is at the correct height.
3. Import the zone and all its contents to openzone where you would then need to specify all water within the zone using the water tools (it appears clear unless textured, and by clear, i mean you would be swimming in air)
4. After water is set, you could then compile the zone using openzone, and then replace the zone files with the new ones created.

Now, after saying all of this, there are a lot of things that will happen durring this process. Within EQ, texture blending at the time the zones came out was done simplistically by manually creating a tile with the textures blended together. Any objects that have there textures blending from paths and such would most likely have the uvw map coordinates of some (not necessarily some or all, really depends on the map) of the poly incorrectly aligned. This really only means that textures wouldnt blend together at the seams as well. Manyally fixing these is possible, but another task as well.

To be honest, I think you would be better finding a .s3d file from the past where the zone was how you remember it from the first picture and just replacing it which would therefore bypass the entire process.

If you wish to go about modifying it your self, feel free to ask me questions or to be more detailed if you need that.

-A goal is in mind. but the view is still clouded-