View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Shokazullu
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leere View Post
That client manager is a complete failure of concept. It's an external add-on linking to the server with its own protocol. The server has no way of telling it apart from something imitating that protocol and sending that everything is just fine.

Face it, any kind of client-side protection is at best an attempt at making it too much of an effort to circumvent, and you've as good as lost that battle to begin with by needing to provide access to the client software in the first place.

The only way to make something like that work is to have OS support for segregated data where nothing can access your memory space or even physical data files. About the only way to currently even attempt something like that is to basically install the equivalent of a virus.
Anything is hackable if you have the knowledge and time to do it. I can guarantee you that this will curb 95% or more of the eqemu hackers. All most of them know how to do is run MQ. If any of the few that would even have a chance of defeating the client manager decided to post a guide on how to defeat it. Yeorwned would have it fixed asap. IMO one of the best approaches to curbing hacking I have seen so far.

This is Paaco btw, someone fix my eqemu forum account :( I can't log into it or recover the password.