View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahlight@EQC View Post
Earlier today I found out that some of our very old, very inactive developers (that I recently re-granted SVN access) were colluding to take our current work and publish it under a separate, open-source project. They were swiftly removed and unfortunately dragged some good people down with them. Fortunately for you all, though, I am positive that there is at least one aspect of our work that may help you. I have decided to publish our current work, beating those who planned on stabbing me in the back to the chase.

Our work is based on an earlier client, yes, but you guys probably know better than I do that packet structures only changed over time when it was absolutely necessary. I do not think you would have too much trouble porting our structures into your source. The download link is here --> HERE

My pathing work is probably not too useful to your projects anymore, mostly because I see you guys started your own solution, and I am positive our approaches to NPC movement are vastly different, making a port of my work to yours a bit difficult. If you are interested, you would probably have success porting the A* preprocessing system, though. In my testing, A* alone was not sufficient for an enjoyable experience.

At the very least, I recently spent roughly two hundred hours getting spell bolts to function (most of that time was spent getting them to appear) and my solution is fairly good at this point, but still requires a bit of tweaking. The packet structure for your client is most likely different, but I have identified all the magic numbers that are required to spawn a spell projectile. I sincerely doubt these numbers changed over time.
Yeahlight, thank you. You just avoided a hell of a lot of drama for everyone at EQClassic, but at the same time, I feel like you gave into their demands.

I'm worried to go see eqclassic.org now...