Thread: New Developer
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Ciji
Fire Beetle

Default New Developer

Good evening EQEmu!
So, to begin I apologize if this isn't the best sub forum to post this is. It seems/ seemed like the most appropriate. Please feel free to move this If there is a better suited area for it .

I would like to state that I have played here in the EQEmu community for a moderate amount of time, however never really visited the forums. I've enjoyed the unique experiences of nearly every Legend and Green status server for a bit of time. Not to make it seem I favor any over others, but I loved the beginning of Blood of the Akkadian, addicted nature of EZ Server, the community of Hidden Forest, and much more.

I have dabbled a bit in the development world of Everquest, and find it intriguing. It opens so many doors for opportunity, use your imagination to construct a world no amount of description could completely describe. Though I am fairly new to this (Dev side of EQ that is) I do feel I have a good handle on a few things.

I have worked on a server, and the owner was amazing. He was very knowledgeable, kind to his player base, and creative. He gave me the first opportunity to learn what little i do know, which included much of GeorgeS's Tools and manually placing NPCs in game. I became familiar with creation of loot tables, NPCs, Merchant lists, item creation, and general GM commands. Sadly at the time I had a limited amount of time to devote to further pursing this new thirst, and had to resign from my position (Military and first child's birth ).

I now have a considerable amount more time than before to dedicate somewhere, however I can't be completely satisfied with being just a player anymore. I have tried to play on a few servers again, but I can't do just that. I want to explore further into what lies ahead with Development.

I am looking for a place I could learn a bit from someone with knowledge. Obviously I am willing to take any opportunity available to me, but I would love to work with someone who can show me along the way to building their ideal server environment. Something like "on the job training" so to speak.

I would ideally like to learn about Perl Scripting, at least enough to make some basic quests (with the basics I could easily branch out and experiment), custom factions, changing zone mappings (example being having the Karanas connect to Jagged Pine, or something the sort), and any other information I could learn. I can keep in touch via phone, vent, email... whatever is most convenient for the server owner(s).

I don't need to be shown anything more than once, however I may have questions about variations to processes. I learn new things best from doing it, being told how its done while preforming the actions makes it stick. I have read a good many posts here, and due to my unfamiliarity with EQ servers as a whole in development it comes across as confusing.

You may ask, why not create my own server to learn all the basics. I would, but it comes back to the want to help others. I could sit and work on a server that will likely never see the graces of other players, due to my previous statement of being a new father (which means poverty apparently lol ) but would much rather assist a seasoned Dev who could use a helping and eager hand.

I appreciate you, the readers, for this and ask you please forgive the long post. If you happen to run a server, and have the patience to show a rookie a thing or two feel free to PM me or send an email. Thank you EQEmu community

-Ciji