View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
I think I'll be switching both my EQEmu servers BACK to linux this week... sigh. Just makes it harder to debug issues, which is why I moved to Windows in the first place.
Why is debugging issues harder on Linux? You can use GDB to evaluate core dumps on linux, which gives better insight into the cause of crashes than I know of from any Windows tools.

I am actually in the process of setting up a Windows server to see if it is more stable than my Linux server. I will still need to find a good debug tool that I can run full-time on a production server with players on it though.

On Linux, I run into a few different types of zone crashes that I haven't been able to pin down to any exact issue yet. One of them is during the Zone::ShutDown() process when it reloads quests. The other main crash I see is during the RemoveCurrent() process when a client is removed from a zone (zoning out or died).

I am not aware of any crashes related to zoning into a dynamic zone with a permanent pet. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the cause of some of the crashes I see, since they are almost all during the zoning process somewhere.

I know many of the pet related crashes from the past have been resolved, but I think there are still some remaining that we just don't have a 100% way of reproducing so they can be isolated. That is just a theory though, based on my own suspicions on the crashes I currently get.

My other suspicion on my own crashes are that they are perl related. We have a wide variety of scripts and I am sure there are issues in some of them.