View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
501st
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
Not to turn this into a which F2P is better debate, but there's a whole lot more game you can see in EQ with the F2P restrictions. I played for years up to the GoD expansion, and all of my toons are below the restrictions with the exception of bag slots and perhaps PP on one toon.

Admittedly it is a different game now than when I played on live, but I think there's far more to see and do to allow you to decide if you like the game in the EQ F2P model.
Oh I'm not debating that in the least, I agree. I'm just saying they're keeping you locked out of more than what is displayed on their F2P page. Indirectly of course. Modern EQ relies heavily upon AAs for example. Both statistically and, by association, when dealing with other people. At level 90 with 250 AAs you will find xp zones difficult to play through. Many groups, and ESPECIALLY guilds, will shun you due to low AA count (many guilds have a minimum AA requirement. A lot of experience groups are picking up on this as well. Elitism at work.). This essentially keeps you locked out of zones that technically you should be able to access. Makes some quests impossible to complete, items impossible to obtain. etc

It's really just a clever way to lure people back to Live, rehook them, then force them to pay. Though I doubt any of that was ever in question lol. Ironically if anything this will be more beneficial to Emu players than it is to those that still play Live. For one, people can go buy Underfoot from Steam and no longer have to worry about how to fix the missing files. Just set up a free account, patch a copy of your client to Live, and drag and drop files. No issues with legality or file distribution. Not to mention the possibility of Steam promoting this and updating the clients which can result in a VoA client for EQEmu (Which those that already bought SoD/UF could likely get for free) which opens up stuff like player housing etc for custom servers to fiddle with once it's coded in.