Thread: Mercenaries
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
bad_captain
Developer

I had planned to write up some stuff over the weekend, but was too busy to get to it. I started to work on stats last night and did give them an inventory, but could take it away just as easily. I would lean towards having it for customization reasons, and it allows for better code reuse from clients. But, I could be convinced otherwise. It would save the hassle of coming up with equipment sets, since they change weapons every 5 levels. They also change weapon types, as I had seen 1hs, 1hp, and 1hb all used by like level 30.

As far as race and npc_types, there is no different between races, and actually, they are all the same race (human?) with an illusion of their actual race. That is already in. I'm not sure I see the need for any entries in npc_types for a couple of reasons. First, everything needed is already in the current merc tables (most everything is dependent on class, proficiency (apprentice, journeyman) and tier). I think its very similar to pet power, which I believe was poorly implemented by having to use different records for each power for each pet. The rest just need to be handled in code based on those factors. Also, I think most fields in the npc_types table are not relevant to mercs (or at least won't vary among them) while there are also additional fields that aren't relevant to npcs but are for mercs.

Once I get a bit of time to write up what's done and what's not, I will have a better idea what can easily be delegated without us tripping over one another. I don't have a problem with others working on it, as another opinion from someone who doesn't work on bots may be beneficial, since I think of how to attack problems like they are bots. A fresh perspective is definitely helpful.

Once a little more work is done to handle the packets and most of the work is done that affects clients ( suspending, hiring, etc), I would feel better about merging. I don't want one of these big changes to mess anyone up. Once most of the work is just getting merc behavior correct, I say go ahead.

Also regarding equipment and stats. We need to decide on a way to scale spell casting as well as melee damage, especially if we choose not to give them an inventory. For journeyman healers, there can be almost a 100% increase in healing on a rank II spell at level 85. We need to determine if that holds true across the board, or if they also receive AA like bonuses that increase with levels (my assumption). I don't think my mercs currently heal for more than the base amount (level in mid 50s) but I would have to look through my logs.

Last edited by bad_captain; 10-22-2012 at 11:28 PM..