View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoetwarrior View Post
That show processlist in mysql> was very useful.

I confirmed that $dbh->disconnect(); indeed does work to close a global $dbh

Also a global connection variable will still pass if(!$dbh) will still pass as connected even though using disconnect on it.

So ether non-global with 'my' or disconnect at end, will disconnect it.

I guess question I have, for global_player.pl should I just make 1 global connect when player zones in, and disconnect it when player zones out? Instead of always making new connects each time we get something from DB?
I would keep it open if I were you. Otherwise you are opening and tearing down sessions constantly for no good reason.

Keep it global per global_player.pl, because:

global_player.pl runs per zone, not per player.

Yes each player may trigger the Perl script but it is not unique to each player, the same script and same variables are accessible no matter what character runs it in that zone. That is why the need for entity variables came in to play, so you can declare unique variables to an entity.

Same goes for NPC's, if you use a default.pl, only one instance of the script runs.

So in conclusion, if you declare a connect variable, it is accessible to each client within the zone. Just because a client leaves a zone do you need to tear down that variable for good measure because another client in the zone will use it because it is already globally declared and the session is open.

EDIT: Also to save you some time, there was a period where I would check to see if I had declared DBI, and checked if it was declared before I declared it again. Like:

Code:
if(!$connect){ $connect = plugin::LoadMysql(); }
This does not work in the long run because you can have a connect declared but that doesn't mean that your mysql session could tear itself down within that time, so it is always best to redeclare the open.

What issues are you running into that you are concerned with?

If you are running into a simultaneous connections issue, you can raise that with your Mysql my.cnf, google for 'max connections mysql'