View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Davood
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer4life View Post
1. Ah ok, so let me get this straight. You don't need any eq client installed onto the host server? Wow. So how do you install the right PEQ database for a classic eq, up to the first 3 expansions? ie, kunark, velious, luclin. That is what I'm trying to create. A classic eq server right up to Luclin. That is my goal. I think it would be awesome because it feels pretty much like classic EQ, except you have its pre-PoP expansion.

Dont get me wrong, PoK is cool but after PoP, The game radically changed . you could travel everywhere by a click of a mouse. It made norrath feel like a much smaller place and it also hurt Druids and wiz porting businesses.
At least with luclin, if you don't want to sit and wait by the boat dock, you can always go to beam up to the Nexus and sit on a telepad for 10 mins and be at the continent of your choice. I remember seeing people sit there, chat to people, people working on their trade skills, etc. But it still felt like a "world", you still needed to travel to places, it was a little adventure and when PoP came out, Sony killed that. I know some fellow gamers may disagree, but I know there are some that do agree.

That's my goal, to create a server up to luclin.

2. Another question, once you set up the server and its up and running and you later decide you don't want to run it as a LAN anymore, you successfully tested it out and stuff and you want it online, how do you create a webpage for people to create an account to play on your private server? Please PM if it's more convenient and I'll provide my email address. In any case I really appreciate the replies, as a n0obie server creator in the making, i learn a little bit more each day
1. i'll let you do the analysis on whether it is feasible to create a classic server in the way you describe. you would need to edit alot of files to do that. I think its best if you just tried it rather than asking about it.
2. have you attempted to install the prepackaged peq bundle that is provided here? If not then I am not going to be motivated to answer any more questions.
3. remember this is not a piece of software made by a for-profit company. this is an open source project. it is generally accepted that if you want classic, you have to sweat a little and figure out what to remove from peq to make it a reality. hint: quests, pok stones, loads of npcs (LDON for example), and youll need to be sure to setup the expansions variable properly. and for added "classicness" (or *****ness depending on viewpoint) you can choose to omit the opcodes above titanium so that people with the newer clients can't login. What do all these words mean? (use search function to find out!)