View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 04:10 PM
anoh92
Fire Beetle

I've tried before using the Titanium client (because it's all I've got for now). It was myself and one other person that completely cleared every zone, quest, item, etc. and started from scratch. We basically each picked a zone for levels 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, etc. all the way to 51 (our server max) and went to work. Once we spawned all the mobs and gave them pathing for each zone we would write quests and I would create them using the old PERL method and implement them. Then we would create items (vendor trash included) and the other dev would create and implement them. Then we worked together on two high level zones and one raid zone. All of this took about 5 months and that was working every single day for about 4-6 hours a day.

Our biggest problem was server uptime, but after we rolled out a few zones we opened the server to some beta testers from the community. We only had a peak of 11 players over the course of a week, but everyone was really amazed at our quality of work. Unfortunately some things came up in our personal lives and the other dev could no longer work on the server. I kept it going for another month or two but the workload was just too much for one person. I took a hiatus until recently, even though I probably won't be able to play much (I'm in the military and deployed and the internet is garbage).

Overall it's a very ambitious endeavor but if you can get some people to help you and you put in a good amount of work it's a really fun thing to do; I had a lot of visions, and still do, for some awesome items, quests, and zones overall. When I get back from this deployment, assuming I'm not working too much, I may try again if there's a more stable client by then. However it'll take me a while to learn the LUA system and stuff