View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Durinor
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Your subnet needs to match whatever your LAN is using...

Code:
192.168.0.xx
Code:
192.168.1.xx
Code:
etc...
If you're behind your router, then you should be using the local subnet.

Pretty sure a dmz still puts you behind the router.
A dmz would put you behind a router in the consumer sense, yes. Consumer "routers" are not really just routers. They tend to be wireless access points, routers and security appliance/firewall all rolled into one. In this thread, when I say router, I don't mean a device that separates me from the Internet. I mean an actual router. A device that simply forwards a packet on to it's next hop and performs no other security at all.

So, in my case, the server is on a local subnet that uses 172.16.210.0/24 for addressing. I have been calling that "dmz". (I will eventually move that network to a proper dmz on an edge device like a firewall soon, I just wanted to work out this stuff first). And my PC is on a different local subnet that uses 192.168.0.0/24 for addressing. I can only access the emu server is I set the local_network=192.168.0. Technically, they are both behind a router as in a device that forwards packets based on layer 3 route tables, and they are also both technically local subnets in the sense that they are not directly on the internet and are behind a firewall. Though the traffic between the emu server and the pc does not pass a firewall, it passes a router.