Thread: Population
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 09:08 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistmaker View Post
I have played many games that are not fit to play and have a family (kids etc) if you wish to advance past group/solo items. These are the ones where your 100% attention is needed during the raid or even just to stay alive. Back in 99 (if you raided at all) you even had guilds that would kick you out of the guild if you were not fully devoted to what was happening during the raid. WoW was extreme for this and and I also know EQ2 was too.

I don't think the game was designed for family back then. Could you think of playing EQ with your 7 year old? After his first CR he would never play again. Today I play with mine on Asgard, because all those game frustrations I removed. I think today's family player also has kids that they involve. That was rare to see back in 99.

The EQemu servers I think would be more difficult to play if you have a family are the ones that I had problems playing. So from my experience with 4 kids and 3 dogs anything that requires me to play an FD class like P99 I found to be difficult. I would also say anything that requires me to play a box team like EZServer would also be difficult.

So server fit for family would be IMHO those that dont require you to run a large box team and those that you can include your kids. If you wish to play on p99 make sure to apply for that IP exemption and then watch your kids fight over who gets to play when you only get 1 extra for access.

I speak from my own personal experiences and others may have a different experience so just telling it how it has been for me. Back in 99 i was married and had a child then too so again I'm talking from my experiences.
To go along with this, how many of us in this EMU community are totally new players, as opposed to people who played in the past on live?

I'd go a little further than that, and say most of us started sometime between launch and PoP.

This game is getting to be 18 years old. The graphics alone are a hard sell to new players. I know I've showed it to my nephews, and they are pretty meh about it (though they like Dwarven Fortress, go figure).

But what you can and are willing to do as a high school or college student, and what you can or are willing to do when you have a full time job and a kid are different things.

I know some of the "OG" players had families and stuff. But come on, if you were in one of the famous raiding guilds like Legacy of Steel, Afterlife, FoH, I really can't see that going well with a family situation.

Yeah, you can focus on being in the Complete Heal chain when your wife yells at you "Ok Gary, you are changing the diaper THIS time."

Cause yelling back "No can do Hon. It will take another 30 minutes or so for this mob. Thanks for understanding!" might just be a bad move.

You know writing that... I wonder if EQ has ever been used in a divorce proceeding? I can totally see it actually:

"Your Honor he neglected his family because he spent forty plus hours a week playing a fantasy game. The man might as well have not been in the household. Instead he was... let me look at this...'summoning mod rods and dropping them on the ground'...for the benefit of other people also playing this imaginary game, whom he has actually never met in person. Leaving his wife to assume total responsibility for the care of their child.

Additionally your honor, my client fears for the health and well being of little Ralph should his father gain custody of the child. She worries that instead of spending the time to cook a nutritious meal for the both of them, he will instead give Ralph a bag of Cheetos and a Mountain Dew, as that is apparently all he eats if left to his own devices.

Now I might also bring to your Honor's attention this matter of the 'poopsock'..."