View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM
djeryv
Hill Giant

Well, I failed to get the Prophetess to tell players where items can be looted from. The issue is that if your server is on the low power end, querying through a table with over 600,000 records (the loot table is very big) takes too much time. During this time of the query, the server is pretty much non-responsive until it is done. So although not a big deal with single player environments, adding a few more players will ruin the experience.

I did make an SQL query to create one single table, however, that will allow for the searches I already implemented. And since I made the separate table, searches take a second or less to do. When I queried the database tables, and the joins I needed, it would take 15 or more seconds.

I also learned during this process that MySQL views just aren't very efficient. They took even longer to query than the multiple table joins.

So the Prophetess is still very useful. You can search for items for sale and she will tell you who sells it and what zone they are in. You can do wildcard searches as well. If you tell her a level, she will tell you where you can go buy your spells from for that level. So, for example, if you are a Necromancer...and say "3" to her...she will tell you where you can go buy your level 3 necromancer spells from.