View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Amphitryon
Fire Beetle

Default Getting models from other games/apps into OpenZone

This can be a challenge given that you have to use Anim8tor and it has a very limited range of import options.

However I have found a decent conversion path for getting objects into OpenZone (ala Anim8tor). In my case I extracted 3D Models from Star Ward Galaxies and converted them for use in OpenZone.

1. You need GMAX (registered). Its free and you can still obtain the download.
2. Secondly you need a GMAX to OBJ (Wavefront) export script which can be had here (I use the GMAX2OBJ script)

http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorial...models-obj.htm

That link also provides a very goo, and accurate tutorial of how to do the export to OBJ.

3. Then you can Import the model into Anim8or vie the Object>Import menu and selecting .OBJ format.

Whala, the model is loaded. You will still need to assign textures and such.

As for how I got the objects and textures out of SWG, there is an app called TRE Explorer which will browse the game's resource archive and allow you to extract files, and I also have a GMAX importer script for SWG's .MSH and .MGN 3D formats.

At anyrate I had far better luck using the OBJ format for import than 3DS with Anim8tor.

As far as WHY I did this...SWG's models have a LOT higher polygon count than the EQ models ,plus have higher res textures and I wanted to see how OpenZone and SimpleClient behaved with more detailed models and textures.