View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Raghnar
Fire Beetle

Run speed and grid length are important to know if you want your ships to arrive at the zone line at the right time.

It takes some experimentation to get it right, but knowing your grid length is helpful. My oot grids don't double back on themselves so the distance is easy to find by simple geometry of each leg. Lay out your grid from west to east (so if it is an east to west grid start with the last waypoint), don't worry about the z.

x1,y1
x2,y2
x3,y3
x4,y4

The total length of this grid would be the sum of the length of the hypotenuses of right triangles each pair of waypoints make:

((SQRT((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2)) + (SQRT((x2-x3)^2 + (y2-y3)^2)) + (SQRT((x3-x4)^2 + (y3-y4)^2)))

If the grid doubles back on itself or has legs with no x offset (direct north or south track), then it becomes more difficult but not impossible. But if you made it this far you can figure out how to get those lengths on your own.

So in my grid I had a total length of 24231.42 units. I had two pauses of 30, one at each island stop. Using that data I wanted to figure out the exact run speed the ship needed to get from spawn in at 3:30 to zone out at NLT 7:55. So the total travel time of 265 game minutes (4 hours 25 minutes). I found that with the 60 ticks of pause the speed could be determined by applying a constant of 23.7098 in the time distance formula. So if I divided the total distance by my time constant, and then divided that by the desired number of minutes I got 3.856604. And indeed setting my ship run speed to 3.856 worked and my ship transit across oot took exactly 265 game minutes.

Changing you island wait times might cause that constant to shift, not sure. I derived it by dividing my grid length by the original run speed of 3.5 times the transit time of 292 game minutes at run speed 3.5.

Last edited by Raghnar; 11-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Island stops were only 30 seconds each.