View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 12:56 AM
Vonguru
Fire Beetle

Default EQEmu in the cloud

Hey all,

I'd love to get a thread going about an "R&D" effort to see what we could do to run EQEmu as a more micro-service architecture rather than monolithic. There are some options as to providers, but I do not want to get wrapped around the axle on that right now.

What I would be really interested in is a couple quick wins to see what it is we could do to alleviate the burden of server operators having to maintain their own infrastructure.

I think a good example would be using a managed database service such as RDS from AWS or Azure Database for MySQL.

Other efforts are somewhat ongoing that I know of including nats.io integration which uses event hubs. Kafka could be another discussion which is more widely supported by major cloud services.

As a project, what would be interesting to you? This "R&D" would be to see how we continue to move the project forward with new technologies that are out there! I realize that AWS/Azure cost money. Let's worry about that later and just get a discussion going around general thoughts.

Thanks,
Von